Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible to divide 100 led light strand?

aaronmunson

So as a newbie, I was already bummed out when I found out that you couldn't treat LED's the same way you can as the old incand lights, especially when it comes to modifying strings. However, I was at Home Depot earlier and I purchased a bunch of the GE Colorite LED's, which I love, because they look just like incand's but a bit bolder color. But when a couple of the stores ran out of the 100ct sets, I started picking up 50ct and it got me to wondering, is it possible to take a 100ct set and divide it exactly in 2, leaving 2 50ct sets? I assume that they at the factory just put plugs on at the 100 and 50 ct points, as I don't see any difference in the plugs, or any added boxes, resisters, etc, but I just had to ask! 

Unfortunately not, as GE nicely rubberbanded each set of 50ct, and in the middle I see 3 wires. It looks like 3 wires come out of the female and male plugs, and throughout the strand it ranges anywhere from 3 to 4 wires running at the same time, with 1 wire going into a lamp, and 2 coming out, or vice versa. 

I'm guessing that means that you just ruined my day, huh? :-) Oh well, it's not a big deal if I can't break a larger strand in half....at least I can still put 2 smaller strands together for a long one.