Light-O-Rama Forums

FInal Count

paralegalnc

Thanks to my surgery being put off a week (it's this Thursday) I was able to get the rest of my lights up.  Final count 34,081 twinkling, dancing, chasing and blinking lights...  Everything is up... mostly powered up (that's what husbands are for)   just a tweak here and there on the sequences and hopefully will have a successful final run through tonight...

I couldn't have done it without the help of Dave who jumped in and helped us set up.  It's really nice to give the channel configurations to someone and they know what you are talking about and know what to do... my kids think I'm talking japanese.  Those who gave me the links or advice for the video... thank you. 

On December 1st I will light up at 6pm.  In my show this year is a tribute to our military service members from our area.  A section is included for our fallen heros.  The video will show the pictures, names, hometown and date they were killed.  I have invited the families of those soldiers to the "kick off" so that they can see that we thank them for their service and that their sons, daughters, husbands, wives, will not be forgotten.    I've been working on it for a year... I hope I did them honorably. 

• Like 1

Glad you got it done. Can't wait to see videos of your show. Whatever medical things are going on with you, wishing the best for you.

Wow- What a special dedication. I'm sure the families of our fallen will be very touched that you've done such a wonderful thing. I want to say more but I'm at a loss for words. Just thank you.

I'm sure they will be honored. As a vet I find that anyone that takes the time to do something to remember the fallen, which anyone of us could have been, deserves a heart felt "thank you".

Very nice if I say so myself. We who served, never asked for recognition, never asked for anything other than to serve our country, no matter what the cost might be. We only hoped that we made our world a better place for our families, friends and our country. I will say though, its nice to hear that people care about the sacrifices that were made. Thank You!

Very touching. And thank you for taking time to make a tribute. Sometimes it felt like a thankless task of defending this great country of ours, and people like you make all of that easier to deal with. 

well because people serve I don't have to (cuz I'm a woos) and I get to stay home and play with Christmas lights  :)    I ALWAYS help our troops.  Many of the soldiers in the first part of the tribute are ones we've adopted.  We usually adopt one and then there is one who doesn't get anything so we send extra to share and then we start sending for two...then there's one that doesn't get anything...so we send for three... had 12 in the last unit.  One was killed in Afghanistan and when I found out it was like I was kicked in the gut.  I cried.  Though I had never met him I knew him cuz of the stuff we'd send.  I knew his name... I prayed for him. 

I did find that many of the soldiers and vets that I have in it...never want to be recognized.  I had to twist arms for pictures.  But the charity we are raising money for this year is nine line foundation... one of my adoptees told me about it.  The first part of the tribute are those with some connection to us.  There is one guy...from Indiana...he does LOR.  Had to include him.  The second part are ones from our area.  Many of the soldiers and families will be here for the first public viewing... should be pretty humbling I think.  I will be honored to have them at our show.  Thank you to all that served... there's more of you out there than I know and I am grateful for your service, your sacrifices, your loyalty and dedication to this country and to me- a citizen.  I can't thank you enough. 

• Like 1

oh, and of course I added more lights!  34,581 now  -  I think I am done. (but show doesn't start for another week  :P )

well it isn't hard to keep count.  I know how many are on each bush... how many sets are on the roof, how many boxes are in the trees... keep it in a spreadsheet...not hard  :D

How do you get the count of the lights? Lol

doesn't everybody??  it's easy... if you put 5 strands of 100 in a bush...well that's 500.. standard 18ft rope has 216 lights... our icicles are 25 lights per strand...5 strands... that's 125... there's 20 strands of 100 in a tree x 2 ... 40 strands of 100 in the mega tree... 60 for my changing tree...   you just keep track... I thought everyone did it...lol. 

Well I have some strings that are 35, 50, 60, 100, 120....and the spacing is different so sometimes it's hard to tell even by the length of the strings. So once they all get rolled up and put in the tub. I even started writing the count on the end of the string...then I got of counting and gave up!