Light-O-Rama Forums

I think it's time to throw in the towel

rednosetbird

our cameras were delivered yesterday and are going up this week... along with the smile you're on camera sign

Excellent.  But not just one.  Make it 2 or 3.  Let them know you are serious about the cameras.  And don't forget the security lighting for after hours.

I use deer camera's on most of my display. Mount them high with a ladder and a good size sd card. A few years back I had over 300 strings of incands stole out the yard and offered a reward but nothing came out of it. Motion flood lights on timers were added that year. Hope you find your controller and props this year.

Jeff

Remember -- Camera's are good, but what REALLY deters the thieves/vandals is knowing they may be caught.  

In other words, cameras are next to useless unless the jerks know you HAVE them.  After hours light up your yard/display with some flood lights (cheap CFLs only take a few watts and won't add much to the bill).  Put a camera close to the street/access point of the display so people can SEE IT.  A blinking red light is good too.

Then post LARGE CONSPICUOUS signs letting people know that there are cameras IN USE.  You've already spent $250 on cameras, so invest another $20 in some nice large signs.

What you really want is DETERRENCE, not EVIDENCE.

Thanks for the advice, all sounds good to me. I do like the idea of  lighting up the yard did not think of that I have not been in the right state of mind. I think with the signs, lights and cameras it should help out a lot!

Fortunately, I live in a decent neighborhood, I hope...but this thread got me to thinking that the OP could string a very fine wire, such as 36 gauge, physicaly through each of the controllers, serially. At the end, connect one end to a power source and the other to a relay along with the negative power source. This would activate the relay and keep it activated unless someone pulled a controller and broke the wire. Using the relay contacts, you could connect any number of devices to turn on from flood lights, cameras, sirens and etc. The only thing someone would have to be careful of would be not to trip on or break the wire accidently.

• The topic was locked