Light-O-Rama Forums

I think it's time to throw in the towel

rednosetbird

What a day!!!  Started my day of by going out to warm up my truck this morning to fine out someone stole some of my control boxes and props. I think I am done crying now.... now just pissed off.... WTF..... sorry about that just needed to vent!!!!!  Hope no one else out there has my luck. Good luck to all this year.

There's no other way to say it - that plain sucks.

I'm going to have a couple unused controllers this year and I'd be happy to loan them out if it would help.

Damn. I hate that kind of thing. Learn from it and move on. You've got an offer for a controller; is the prop replaceable? Make Christmas awesome anyway!!! Still feels like crap, though.

BTW, motion controlled lights... chained down gear... it will be okay... don't give up.

Keep an eye on ebay, craigslist and of course any other sequenced displays that pop up in your area.   That really sucks but I think you are the first person I've heard of in ten years that actually had LOR boxes stolen.  There have been a couple cases of vandalized cases.

Good luck.

Post a description and/or photos of the props. If they show up on EBay someone may point you to them. You never know.

If they show up on your neighbor's lawn, you know what to do!

That's a major bummer for sure.   Sorry to hear of your controllers getting stolen, like others said, that's usually a bit rare. 

And if the thief that stole them thinks they can just plug them in and they work like a Mr. Christmas, someone is in for a very rude awakening when they can't figure out why those controllers aren't lighting lights.  

I'd love to see the thief's face when they try to use them, especially if they think they are "plug and play" devices, and then nothing happens. 

And maybe with a little luck, once they discover that, they'll try and put them back where they found them.  One can only hope for the best outcome.

Sorry to hear this...some people have to ruin Christmas for all.  

On the other hand maybe they will return them like Orville said

(  especially since they find out that you actually have to put a little work into it for it to function) 

The thieves don't like that word.

WORK and Effort

Please make sure you have filed a police report.  Controllers are rare enough that should the police find some, they'll have someone to call.

One other thought. Recover the best you can for this season and show the jerk that the show still goes on. Dont let them win! And invest in some security cameras. Its a shame, but in this day and age one has to. My advice to anyone that owns a house. This stuff happens year around and I only see crime ramping up.

One other thought. Recover the best you can for this season and show the jerk that the show still goes on. Dont let them win! And invest in some security cameras. Its a shame, but in this day and age one has to. My advice to anyone that owns a house. This stuff happens year around and I only see crime ramping up.

Yep, my neighbor just had his home broken into and had his brand new plasma TV stolen that he had just bought less than 2 days ago.   The thieves covered their break in by playing loud bass pounding music while they kicked in his front door on the other side of his home.  We live in a mnaufactured home park..   

We live directly next door, had the windows open and just figured, since loud music playing like that is common occurrence, it was a neighbor coming in.   So the one time I didn't bother to go out and check on who had the loud music playing, this happens.    

From now on, I will go out and check any loud music playing to see if someone is using it for cover to break in to homes or vehicles!  This happened between 10:30-11AM in the morning!

Yep, my neighbor just had his home broken into and had his brand new plasma TV stolen that he had just bought less than 2 days ago.   The thieves covered their break in by playing loud bass pounding music while they kicked in his front door on the other side of his home.  We live in a mnaufactured home park..   

We live directly next door, had the windows open and just figured, since loud music playing like that is common occurrence, it was a neighbor coming in.   So the one time I didn't bother to go out and check on who had the loud music playing, this happens.    

From now on, I will go out and check any loud music playing to see if someone is using it for cover to break in to homes or vehicles!  This happened between 10:30-11AM in the morning!

Stealing the plasma did your neighbor a favor.  Time to upgrade!  :D

Thank you for all of the great advice. I has talking to someone who got me into all of this and security cameras he is not doing it any more. He is going to sell me all of his boxes. (a total of 8)  So...  this year I wont be putting out my 4 singing Christmas trees. No big deall... I  ordered 4 cameras from Costco for $249.00 not to bad, I hope this will help the problem. Been working all weekend on the props... almost done.... thank god I ordered extra black coro this year. Thanks again for all the nice comments and the willingness to help.

Thanks again Bill

Thanks for the advice... I still cant believe this happened.... The neighborhood I live in is not bad at all, But it is a sign of the times!! People are getting desperate out there and its a shame we have to pay for there crime. Not going to give up yet....Your right if I stop he won. I think I am going to get some of that electric fencing tape and install it around where my boxes are, with a warning sign HIGH VOLTAGE KEEP AWAY!!  LOL 

Remember -- Camera's are good, but what REALLY deters the thieves/vandals is knowing they may be caught.  

In other words, cameras are next to useless unless the jerks know you HAVE them.  After hours light up your yard/display with some flood lights (cheap CFLs only take a few watts and won't add much to the bill).  Put a camera close to the street/access point of the display so people can SEE IT.  A blinking red light is good too.

Then post LARGE CONSPICUOUS signs letting people know that there are cameras IN USE.  You've already spent $250 on cameras, so invest another $20 in some nice large signs.

What you really want is DETERRENCE, not EVIDENCE.

Very sorry to hear this.  We have many CCTV cameras and many steel cables with locks.  I hope to deter those with a brain and catch those without.  The kids in town know the house is like Fort Knox and I hope it stays that way as this would steel Christmas from a lot of kids.