Light-O-Rama Forums

I put my cart before my horse.....need help and advice.

jpoynor

Ok, so our little town of Noel (as in the Christmas city).  used to put out a real tree on a large floating platform every year.  They haven't done it for a couple of years, and had no money or interest in doing it again.  I am fortunate enough to have the funds and time to put into taking it over.  I nixed the real tree, way too much of pain.  So I built a 37 strand mega tree.  It is 20' tall and 12' wide.  The original intention was to just have a constant lit tree out there........however, I let my mind and wallet get the best of me and now we have a 2' star on top of a 5' flapping wing angel on top of the 20' tree and the have 8 snow flakes of varing size and shape hanging suspended in the air around the tree.  Now, had i learned about LOR before I built this I would have made a 32 strand tree and same some headache.  So what I have coming is two 16 channel controllers.  I am goint to run the tree on 18 channels by doubling up the strings.  Which gets me to my issue of finding sequences for 18 channels.  What do I need to do?  Are there some templates that I could copy and paste on to two more channels in the software?  Also, (I know I might get told to go search) are there any places that have free sequences for this type of setup.  I have about blown my wad for this year, but I want it to be great so maybe the town will get some spirit back and grow the show.

Any input is welcomed. 

post-13153-0-29212100-1384458562_thumb.j

First of all, welcome aboard this crazy forum.

As for sequences, I think if you find sequences (yes, google them as there are many out there) and focus on 20 to 50 channel sequences (or more). A lot of folks use the same channel for different things. Then you have mega trees, mini trees, arches and such that hog up channels. That's where the larger channel sequences come in. You want to focus on only segment (channels) of each sequence and find the main channels that carry the main beats. Use those for the star, angel and snow flakes. Then focus the other part of the sequence on mega trees or mini trees. There you will find a group of channels you can use for your mega tree.

It's all about dissecting that sequence to fit your needs. Sometimes it can be overwhelming looking at 150 channel sequence but if you look at the individual channels for that sequence, you will understand it a lot easier.

You might want to settle for 16 channels for the tree because that is more common and just add another strand to that channel (or a couple strands to a couple channels). Because time is not on your side, this might be a faster process.

I'm sure others will chime in on ideas or even sequences but in the mean time, look for those sites that have sequences to the public for free and check them out. You might be surprised as to what you find and what you can do with them.

BTW, your tree/display looks pretty dang good. Good job!!!

I though someone had compiled a mega tree sequence sampler. I know I found one for a webber (spiral tree) that gave all manner of combinations to play with. I'll try to find where I saw that at, and at lease give you a link. The two types of trees probably sequence much in the same way.

That tree looks great by the way, is it all one color? If so it probably wouldn't take all that long to sequence unless of coarse you have a multitude of other props to add in there. Good luck and welcome to the madness!

P.s. It's very nice of you to do this for your town, I really hope people appreciate it

Thanks for the replies.  I was out of town the past weekend so I was unable to work on the sequencing like I wanted to.  I will start googling for some templates, but if you find a link that would be great.  Yes, the tree is all green, and it will have a red spiral of rope light all the way to the top that I envision as the secondary color when the green turns off, to make another effect out of it. I got an FM transmitter with it also, so I hope to do some musical sequences also.