Light-O-Rama Forums

Please help

frycztech

I want to get started with my first light o rama display. I want to order my first controler and control my lights. I last year had about 50,000 lights up and want to take it to the next step. Iam so over whelmed looking and reading that iam confused.

I wanted to build my controller and get some led lights. I picked up some Ge color effects at a yard sale and want to start getting into leds as well. I have been reading up on Ray Wu lights and iam so confused.

Here are my questions:

1- If I build my controller what is a good enclosure to use?

2-What can I use and how can i control these GE lights?

3-What LED lights should i be looking at? Where should I get them from?

Please help me iam really confused

You would be pressed for time this season, even shipping parts can take two weeks.

But not impossible.

Most people are busy with their own displays, so don't expect too much support here for the next couple of weeks.

Put your location in your Profile and maybe someone near you could help you.

See also: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29077-ge-color-effects/?p=271189

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with it being mid-November already and you just now wanting to start.... without even having equipment in hand... It would be next to impossible to do what you are asking in your post. If you really want a display this year I'm thinking you need to buy one of LOR's starter kits.. already put together.. along with their already done sequences... and spend the very short amount of time waiting for the delivery to plan out how you are going to setup your lights to match the sequences you just purchased. It may not be your ideal display but the lights will blink!

You will find that this is a year round hobby that requires a lot of planning and work that begins around the first of the year; heck, many of us haven't even turned on this year's lights and are already planning next year's show!!! Once you get setup this year with the starter kit start playing with the software, reading posts, watching online videos, etc. That way you can start in January planning your great 2014 show!!!!!

Ha, Jim Hans knocked it out of the park. I'm already planning next years additions, researching parts, budgeting, and even started 2014 sequence modifications and I don't even have all of my 2013 lights on the house yet. So much to do and never enough time to do it in.

This late in the game I will second Jim in his recommendation on buying a starter kit. You'll be happy you did. Plus, the controller comes with a weather tight enclosure, and everything you need to make a connection (the proper way) with your computer.

Ha, Jim Hans knocked it out of the park. I'm already planning next years additions, researching parts, budgeting, and even started 2014 sequence modifications and I don't even have all of my 2013 lights on the house yet. So much to do and never enough time to do it in.

This late in the game I will second Jim in his recommendation on buying a starter kit. You'll be happy you did. Plus, the controller comes with a weather tight enclosure, and everything you need to make a connection (the proper way) with your computer.

It can be done if you purchase the starter kit and premade sequences. If I were you, I'd first get the idea in the head about what you wish to control (this first year) and how many channels you need to get started, then aquire what you need. Truly its a matter of controller channels and extension cords to whatever/wherever the light strings are, then the music and sequences.

Personally, I wouldn't try it...even with pre-made sequences.. they still have to be modified...and I am still learning the software and I've be at it for two years.  Plus then if it isn't right then they may throw in the towel and just give up.  That wouldn't be good either.  This hobby (yeah yeah...ah hobby) is fun and rewarding but it takes time and planning ....