Light-O-Rama Forums

MIDI or MP3?

Guest guest

What is the difference between a MIDI file and a mp3 file?

What's the difference between the midi wizard and the mp3 wizard? I dont understand "musical" terms here...lil help?

Midi and MP3 are two completely different ways of representing music. Midi came first. It was designed when computers were very slow... It is like a file that has sheet music in it. It has list of instruments and it has an event in the file every time an instrument hits a note, what the note is, the volume of the note .... A midi fle does not have the actual sound in it, only that things like "a piano hit an A#" so the computer has to know what a piano sounds like and what an A# is . .... Because of this two things happen, first there are no voices in a midi file because it is limited to instruments that the computer has a record of the sound... The second thing is that a midi file can sound really good or really bad on different computers because they may have different sound cards and different qualities of sound samples.

An MP3 on the other hand is a file that has the actual sound digitally represented in it. So with an MP3 anything you can record can be represented.

The Tapper wizard will work with any music file.... The midi wizard will only work with midi files.

With that being said (The Tapper wizard will work with any music file and mp3 being a better format), why are many people using .wav files as the format for their music? What's the benefit?

Another question regarding music, how can you edit the length of a song? For example, the song you have on a CD is 3 minutes long and you only want to use 1 minute of it, how can you edit that down and create a new file? Is there some sort of freeware that allows you to edit music?

Thanks EVERYONE!

lkcubsrule,

Thanks for the referral! Downloaded it, Used it, Loved it! Real easy to use. Thanks.

Anyone: To my other question, why are many people using .wav files as the format for their music? What's the benefit over keeping the music in a mp3 format?

can't speak from an LOR standpoint, as i haven't done a display yet, but as far as generally speaking, wav files are much larger, but are uncompressed. If you rip audio from a cd, it used to be you had to rip it as an uncompressed wav file, then convert it to mp3. (now programs exist that will allow you to rip right to mp3). Mp3's generally sound about as good, but are compressed. For LOR and the fact that they're transmitting over a low quality transmitter, i would guess mp3's will be fine. But for the audiophile that has a great stereo system, an mp3 won't sound good at all (kind of swirly sounds on the highs--such as cymbals).

Colin