Light-O-Rama Forums

Uh-oh

LORisAwesome

When I got home from work yesterday there was a business card from the city where I live.  The card is from someone with the title of Code Enforement Inspector.  He wrote on the back that I should call him.  His phone number is underlined on the front.

The only thing I can figure is that he must have noticed my Christmas display.  I am still in the process of putting up the mega tree.

I'm hoping he isn't going to tell me I have to take it down.

I'll call him today, but this has me worried.

Jerry

Well, I just spoke to him.  It is about a fence in the back yard that was smashed by a neighbors tree earlier in the year.

I was busy with a bathroom remodel and I haven't had a chance to fix the fence yet.

Whew, thats a load off my mind.

Jerry

Yes, They don't  get to tied up with Christmas displays. But if the town has a code and you break it they will. Just remember they have a boss and most the time a visit to the City meeting will help. They will ask if there are any public to be heard. Just make sure there is not a form you need to fill out before speaking to them.   

Jeff

Well, I just spoke to him.  It is about a fence in the back yard that was smashed by a neighbors tree earlier in the year.

I was busy with a bathroom remodel and I haven't had a chance to fix the fence yet.

Whew, thats a load off my mind.

Jerry

Just curious why he wasn't speaking with your NEIGHBOR since it was their tree...

So why the "call my office" intrigue? Why not tell you it was just about the fence when he left the card. Bureaucrats love to make people sweat. Sheesh.

According to the Insurance company, it was an act of God.  The fence is mine, so my insurance paid for it, and it is my responsibility to repair it.  As far as the city is concerned, I don't think they know what caused the damage to the fence.

I'm not too happy with the POS neighbor though.  That was the third time that this tree has caused power outages in the neighborhood.  There is not much left of the tree anymore, so there shouldn't be any more problems from it.

I heard a rumor that he was paid by his insurance company to have the tree removed.  If this is true, it should not have been there to fall the last time.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Well the city contacted me again. 

Apparently the neighbors dog was escaping.  It was this neighbors tree that smashed the fence, and he had the nerve to complain that I had not repaired the fence.  The same neighbor did not even offer to help when I had to remove tons of debris from his tree that smashed the fence and landed in the back yard.

To get the city off of my back, I spent a good part of last Saturday repairing the fence to the point that the neighbors dog can't escape any more.  The jerk never even offered to help.

I don't understand why I am required to provide a fence to keep HIS dog in HIS yard.  The dog would be better off with someone else, in the summer the dog quite frequently has no water.  Another neighbor frequently gives the dog water because this POS doesn't care enough about his own dog to make sure she has food and water.

I wish they would move.

Jerry

Had about the same thing happen to me last spring. Neighbor had a dead hickey tree about 80 to 90 feet tall, and a big limb came down and took out my chain-link fence, took it to the ground. And as luck would have it, missed his wood fence. Well he doesn't live there. He has it rented and even the renters have a hard time getting him to fix anything. He finally had someone cut the tree down and it's still laying in his back yard. Renter can't clean it up as the husband is handicapped. As you, it's all on me. Jerks everywhere.

Hope everything works out for you. Just think, lights on in a few days. Think happy thoughts.

I've been looking at the City's web site.  It looks like to fix the fence correctly requires a permit.  This requires permit fees and approval from two neighbors and waiting on the City red tape.

I'm beginning to think it might be easier to just remove the blasted fence.  I don't think a permit is required to remove the fence.  I'll have to check more into that.

Might be a nice passive-aggresive form of revenge too.   B)

Jerry 

I've been looking at the City's web site.  It looks like to fix the fence correctly requires a permit.  This requires permit fees and approval from two neighbors and waiting on the City red tape.

I'm beginning to think it might be easier to just remove the blasted fence.  I don't think a permit is required to remove the fence.  I'll have to check more into that.

Might be a nice passive-aggresive form of revenge too.   B)

Jerry 

Don't know about St. Louis, but here we have to get a demo permit. Might have to have an asbestos permit from DNR. LOL. Probably not on a fence demo.

Yeah, I've been thinking a little more about it.  Probably need to get a survery done to be sure the fence is on my property.   It might be his fence, in that case it becomes his problem, not mine.  lol

By the way the fence was built, it looks like it is mine.  It is a chain link fence, and all the posts are on my side.

Jerry