Light-O-Rama Forums

Instant Sequence

chandalen

I was wondering if I messed up a setting somewhere... 

The Instant Sequence has been totally unhelpful.  It seems like its just making random light patterns to no beat at all.  I have tried changing the settings and 'rolling the dice' but it always seems like just a random (non beat related) mess of lights.

Is this as intended, or did I mess something up in the settings?

((I have 8 'dumb' RGB ribbons and I created a Tree using the instructions given earlier))

Using the default settings it should create effects that are triggered by the different frequencies in the song. Some songs work better than others. Complex songs with notes all over the place don't work as well. Simple songs with distinct notes work better, but even the complex songs should not appear random.

One thing to try is to click on the "Timing map" button in the Instant Sequence dialog box. In the upper left of the Timing Map dialog box try changing the "Sensitivity" setting up or down a bit and see if that helps.

Try some different songs as well. If it still appears random post another message and let me know.

Is there a button to revert the program back to the default settings, so if we want to experiment, we can revert back with no problem?

There is not a button to revert to the default settings. But what you can do is delete or rename the SSEdit.cfg file and it will revert back to defaults. The file is at:

c:\<your lightorama folder> \ SuperStar \ SSEdit.cfg

Shut down SuperStar

Rename the file to something like SSEdit_bak.cfg

Launch SuperStar and it should revert back to the default settings

I am also new to the SuperStar editor but it is giving me amazing results.

One thing I learned was that turning down the sensitivity and turning up the length

of effects (click on the Timing Map 'button' in the Instant Sequencer dialog box)

really made a difference. Instead of lots of 'in your face lights' it changed things

to be something closer to what I could use.  I also found that trying different

combinations of maps in the frequency selection area makes quite a bit of difference.

Also, I found that some of the ribbons are assigned to my conventional

controllers.  So, net lights, spiral trees, Candy Canes and such that are controlled

by the conventional controllers can be affected by the settings, too.  I have found

that I like what results when I tie my conventional controllers to the beat.  I have

also found that expanding the frequencies assigned to them also helps.

And finally, I found that I can turn up the 'intensity' of the display by dividing the song

into several parts and increasing the sensitivity towards the end of the song.

Ken in West Seattle

Thanks for the assistance!  I did revert to defaults.  I also played with the freq's, sensitivity, etc.  The instance sequence was more in line with the beats to the music.

I was playing with all the instant settings for the different effects and got mixed results.

Anyone have a favorite set of settings that seems to work well with 'Christmas Eve in Sarajevo'?

Thanks for the help!