Light-O-Rama Forums

Issues with "big box" LED stars

robigd

This is my first year using LOR and in my shows, I incorporated LED window stars that I had in my "standard" display last year that I bought from one of the big box stores. Everything looked great in the visulaizer, but I found when testing the lights, they don't turn on and off as fast as I would like. They still twinkle a little bit when the channel is off and when the channel is turned on, there is a slight delay.

Can someone point me in the right direction on where I could purchase something similar that would function as I expect?

Thank you!

Question: How many stars to a strand and how many LED's to each star, and are you running them all of one channel?  Do these stars have some type of controller hard wired to them? 

If they are a wired set, like 5 or 6 stars and you're using multiple sets you may need to add a snubber, especially if you're seeing them twinkling after the channel has been turned off.

If they have their own controller, all you can do is use FULL ON and FULL OFF commands, and if they have their own controller, they may have after effects once the LOR Controller tells them to turn off.  You can't fade, twinkle or shimmer any type of light strand whether L.E.D. or incandescent that has a built in controller, doing so may damage the light strands controller or possibly the channel it's connected to on the LOR Controller.

But not knowing exactly how many stars you're using and if they are all on one channel or seperate channels will help us to help you get the issue resolved.

I have 3 of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_388797-84523-W12L0249_0__?productId=3827305&Ntt=snowflake&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsnowflake&facetInfo=

One on each window with each hooked into a single channel. The problem is, its like they have to "warm up" when the channel is turned on so it doesn't create the effect I am going for.

In the specification it says "Light Pattern = Twinkle" that si your problem. They will not work correctly if you want them to turn off/on only or fade correctly, they have twinkle bulbs in the string.

Take them back for a refund.

In the specification it says "Light Pattern = Twinkle" that si your problem. They will not work correctly if you want them to turn off/on only or fade correctly, they have twinkle bulbs in the string.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you!

I have 3 of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_388797-84523-W12L0249_0__?productId=3827305&Ntt=snowflake&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsnowflake&facetInfo=

One on each window with each hooked into a single channel. The problem is, its like they have to "warm up" when the channel is turned on so it doesn't create the effect I am going for.

I have 8 of those that I'm adding some controllable RGB modules to so I can control them with the LOR DC Controller.

Take the back foil off and insert 36 of these RGB modules. Tie them together with one RGB wire coming out.

Attach that to the LOR DC Controller and attach the factory wire to an LOR AC controller.

Now you have the best of both worlds; white twinkles AND RGB lights.

If I'd have known they had twinkle L.E.D.'s in the snowflakes I would have known what the problem was.

However, sometimes you can replace the flasher {twinkling} L.E.D. with a non-blinking type and if so, then the snowflakes could be used with all the effects of an ~AC~ LOR Controller.    I was able to do this with a random twinkling strand of L.E.D. lights and get them all steady on.    Once I did that, fades, shimmers, twinkles all worked via the CTB16PC controller.

However, some L.E.D. strands have some electronics built in the sockets where the "twinkling" L.E.D. is that would prevent even a standard L.E.D. to convert the strand to a steady on.  

Because the components in the socket are what make the twinkle effect using a standard L.E.D. bulb.   So if you replace the flashing {twinkle} L.E.D. with a new non-blinking L.E.D. and it still twinkles, you won't be able to modify the strand by just changing out the L.E.D. bulb.

You'd actually have to cut those sockets completely out and replace with another socket for a standard L.E.D. bulb from another strand to modify the snowflakes. 

But that also requires a bit more work than what I'd want to put into them, especially for the cost of the initial snowflake, just wouldn't be worth it.  But could be done if you really want to use those particular snowflakes.

Thank you for all of the feedback. I will check into the feasibilty of changing the LED's out. Otherwise, I may just ditch them this year and go with some type of wireframe next year.

Thanks again.

Most of the "LightShow" products have their own controller. I have two trees made by them and since they have their own controller, I run them separately and not controlled via LOR. I have one each on each side of the yard, so as to have a "constant" out there, framing in the yard. With those, I put illuminated mechanical Deer which need constant power too. My general rule is not to control anything, that has its own controller.

Most of the "LightShow" products have their own controller. I have two trees made by them and since they have their own controller, I run them separately and not controlled via LOR. I have one each on each side of the yard, so as to have a "constant" out there, framing in the yard. With those, I put illuminated mechanical Deer which need constant power too. My general rule is not to control anything, that has its own controller.

I've never had an issue controlling Gemmy or other LightShow type products using LOR CTB16PC controllers as long as I only use full on and full off commands with them.   Been using them for 3 years with my controllers and have never been a problem.  Some things I don't want to be always on, even though they have their own control system and may just want that particular item on in a full song or even limited on times during other songs.   Takes some practice and doing to get them on and off at the right times, but can be done.

As for my animated wireframe deer, well only one now, the other 3 have become "static" since their motor housings cracked and fell apart, and motor effects had to be removed, but on Rudolph, a male animated deer that I added a C7 Red bulb to his nose, he is 2 channels on LOR, 1 for the wireframe lights and 1 for his red nose, the motor that turns his head is directly plugged into an outlet and always on during the season 24/7.

I've never had an issue controlling Gemmy or other LightShow type products using LOR CTB16PC controllers as long as I only use full on and full off commands with them.   Been using them for 3 years with my controllers and have never been a problem.  Some things I don't want to be always on, even though they have their own control system and may just want that particular item on in a full song or even limited on times during other songs.   Takes some practice and doing to get them on and off at the right times, but can be done.

As for my animated wireframe deer, well only one now, the other 3 have become "static" since their motor housings cracked and fell apart, and motor effects had to be removed, but on Rudolph, a male animated deer that I added a C7 Red bulb to his nose, he is 2 channels on LOR, 1 for the wireframe lights and 1 for his red nose, the motor that turns his head is directly plugged into an outlet and always on during the season 24/7.

I agree with you completely that you can use LOR to turn them fully on or off. I only power on these devices separately so that I don't have to use a controller channel and they are on two different sides of my yard. I just use an outside light timer to turn them on. 

I agree with you completely that you can use LOR to turn them fully on or off. I only power on these devices separately so that I don't have to use a controller channel and they are on two different sides of my yard. I just use an outside light timer to turn them on. 

I use a photo timer on some of my "static" or a few of my lights that have their own controllers. 

But I will sacrifice a channel or two if I only want a specific style, like snowflakes or stars that have their own control box on at specific times, as they may not look right constantly operating, especially on songs that don't contain info about snow or stars.   So those will usually get one channel for the snowflakes and one for the stars.  

But most are usually on the photo sensor timer, which usually lights those things up sometimes a few minutes before the actual show starts up. LOL