Light-O-Rama Forums

First time mega tree set up...FAIL...need tips

AdamStavs

Hey everyone...so I've come here looking for tips on setting up my mega tree.

I went out this weekend to string the lights, and MAN did I fail.  I'm planning on a ~24ft tree, with 96 strings of mini lights.  On my topper I screwed in 8 eyebolts that I strung 50ft of rope through and I was planning on pulling 12 strings of lights up at a time (this is where the veterans are probably shaking their heads).  And that's where I failed.  As soon as the strings started lifting off the ground, they became a HUGE rats nest.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a similar set up and if they've found any easy method of getting the lights to the top without them winding up on themselves.

I already searched the forums, and there really isn't much there that I can find...tying them to aircraft cable (sounds heavy and a bit of a pain)...and spools (but I can see my amount of lights still wanting to tangle).

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Adam

I just had the same problem with 64 strings this passed weekend. Here's how I did it. Takes some time and effort but it went up without a hitch. If you're using a winch of some sort to raise to the top, take each strand and seperate them out in the order they will be in. SLOWLY start cranking them up if you take your time they will gently slide toward the base, if you're using one. Once the topper is up to the top all of the light strings will be in order the way you layed them out.

Take a look here and see how I did it: https://www.facebook.com/boydchristmas.lights

If you're not using a winch, with a tree that tall, I would go over to Christmaslightshow.com and get a winch and a topper that will slide up the pole

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/Mega-Tree-Hook-Head-for-outdoor-Christmas-tree.html

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/musical-christmas-lights.html

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! As stated above... use a winch to crank up the lights. Way too heavy to do by hand.

My first year I set up my mega tree as a test in July. I'm glad I did because I learned a big lesson on preparation. My mega tree has 12 "slices" with 3 colors. I use 2 strands (100 ct) of each color for each section. That's 72 strands of lights... I go up and down with each strand so that is now 144 strands that can... and will.. get tangled during setup.

Before I take my tree down for the year, I prep it for next year. In your case, this may mean some hours in the basement preparing to put the tree up. How do I avoid the "rats nest" of 144 strings of tangled lights? Wire ties.... lots of them. I start small and work out... I have three colors, RGB. I zip tie those three strings together. Repeat for the other 3 sets in the section (I have 12 sections in my tree). I now have 4 bundles, I zip tie those together. I now have one section done. Repeat for the other 11. Now at setup I run the lights up the pole... see who salutes...

Grab one section, cut the zip tie, easily untwist the 4 bundles, cut the zip tie on one of the bundles, easily untwist the 3 strings and attach them to the bottom tree ring. Repeat all the way around the tree. It may be tedious but it works.

Yeah, been there done that. 96 strings of the biggest tangled mess you ever seen. Took 3 of us about 3 hours to untangle it in the living room.That was before my rule of "if I cant reach it from a step ladder it doesn't happen" days. Winch is defiantly the way to get it done.

Start with the hooks at about 8-12 foot level.

Using a step ladder, place the stands on and stretch them out as far as possible round the base.

Slowly raise the the lights and adjust strands as needed.

I actually have more tangles coming down than up.  This year, I'll bring it down slower and spend more time stretching the strands out.

NOTE:  I do not use "super stands".

I think too part of it might be straightening/stretching those strands right out of the box. I mean pull on each strand with one hand and gripping the lights with the other (from start to finish) but allowing the strand to unwind while pulling thru out the strand. Those strands straight out of the box are wound up big time.

I did this with my 33' strands X 192 and it helped a bunch. Yes, 192 strands.

The other thing is having a second person to keep an eye on what's going on, especially at 24'.

I have a 33' mega tree and two people with lights going up or down. No matter what.

Hey everyone...so I've come here looking for tips on setting up my mega tree.

I went out this weekend to string the lights, and MAN did I fail.  I'm planning on a ~24ft tree, with 96 strings of mini lights.  On my topper I screwed in 8 eyebolts that I strung 50ft of rope through and I was planning on pulling 12 strings of lights up at a time (this is where the veterans are probably shaking their heads).  And that's where I failed.  As soon as the strings started lifting off the ground, they became a HUGE rats nest.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a similar set up and if they've found any easy method of getting the lights to the top without them winding up on themselves.

I already searched the forums, and there really isn't much there that I can find...tying them to aircraft cable (sounds heavy and a bit of a pain)...and spools (but I can see my amount of lights still wanting to tangle).

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Adam

My tree is similar to yours in construction, 60 drops pulled up by 6 ropes through eyebolts mounted at the top of the tree. (10 drops pulled up by each rope).

I experienced exactly what you did , but found a simple solution; I lay the light segments out on the ground and attach each of the lower ends to screw eyes in a light timber board (simple wire ties). This board stops the bottom ends from twisting and the spacing roughly matches the lower ring. When pulled up, I then zip tie the strings to the lower ring, then remove the board.

To stop the mess occurring when dismantling, I again attach the board to each light segment before cutting the zip ties, then just lower the segment.

While this may not be the fastest technique, I have found it works a treat.

post-60-0-06572500-1384233611_thumb.jpg

I just built my first ever mega tree ever yesterday. 12CCR's and about 19ft. On the forums I've seen people using rope and other materials. I used 3/4" metal strapping to support my CCR`s. At $6-8 for a 25ft roll it's relatively cheap, easy to install, and very durable. Just thought I`d add my nickel`s worth.

256 strings of 150 incands on a tower so I have to rent a bucket truck. LOL  That gives me 64 super strings and I can let down each one at any time using mule tape.

Jeff