Light-O-Rama Forums

Groups of 4

robertjhill

Hello new friends!  First year LOR Newbie here!

What a great Hobby!  As we are getting very close to December, time is short so this year, as a kickoff year, i am relying more on purchased sequences to get me off an running.  I have my light layout, mostly, but I seem to have hit a sticking point.  Would love to get some advice!

Following the LOR getting started guide, its recommended that you layout your lights in groups of 4.  Well, easy enough...I can do four sets of windows, bushes, columns, etc.  But Im stumped on my roof line!  In years past, I normally just put White C9 Incan lights lining the roof edge on the street facing side of the house.  I really am stumped for ideas on how to do this in groups of 4  I keep just coming up with two: top roof line and botton roof line. 

Anybody care the offer a suggestion?  Pic of house attached.

Thanks and Happy Veterans Day to ala who served!

Robert

post-13021-0-54541900-1384101600_thumb.j

I only use 2 sets of LED strands {200 ct} on my roof line.  I just program them one 2 channels, left side of house would be Controller 1 Channel 1, Right Side, Controller 1 Channel 2.   Which could correlate to top {right side} roof and Bottom {left side} roof line.

No reason to have to do everything in mulitples of 4, that's more a reference and starting point, as opposed to having to actually do it in that manner.   I do some things in mulitples of 3, 5, 7 or 9, some are in mulitples of 2, 4, 6 or 8, just depends on what I'm setting up, there is nothing set in stone on how you set your lights, it all boils down to how YOU want to do it and how YOU want to set it up.  Basically personal preference is what most everyone uses here, some do it one way, others do it another and some foloow a bit of what both sides are doing. 

Again, all boils down to YOUR preferences and what YOU want to do and go with your display, not anyone else.   That's what makes each and every display unique in its own right, PERSONAL CHOICES!   

There is absolutely no wrong and no right way to map out YOUR display lights, props and other elements.

Have fun and enjoy the hobby!  That's what it's all about! :)

Thanks to you both for your response and advice.  I went ahead and did the botton roof on the first channel, the top on the second and then plan on doing the top story windows, using dumb RGB strips, in two other groups of two each.  We'll see how that goes.  The good news is, I cant get fired, right?!?

Thanks again!

That's what we're here for, to help out new folks when we can.   And no you can't get fired. LOL

Dang, I do miss that edit button at times, would have corrected some of my blunders in my prior post! B)   Ah well, not a big deal. :)

The 4 thing is way overrated.  I find the programming to be no more difficult with 5 vs 4.  Some of my elements are multiples of 4 others 3 or 5.  I consider each element on it's own merit.

If a roof-line doesn't easily break down to a multiple of 4, why force it?  Use what YOU think is right & what YOU think looks good.  What we all here find, is we are our own worst critic.  What you may see as a flaw/imperfect, not a single other person would ever notice.