Light-O-Rama Forums

Generator and a Controller

kwt33

Thinking about using the Controller on a float in a parade and wondering if hooking up to a generator would cause any issues or problems with the electronics of the controller.  Thanks for any input.  Kevin

Will be simulating a keyboard so mostly just on and off with the lights to show keys being pushed.  Sounds like this would be OK?

Some of the generators do not have a very stable output.  I know mine is a few hertz shy of 60hz.  Drives my UPSs nuts during power outages.  Contact LOR and see what they say.

That's what worries me is the unstable power flow so I will contact LOR to see what they say also.  Thanks Brian and Dave for your input

Would one of those DC-AC Power Inverters work that could be powered from 12VDC from the vehicle pulling the float?   

I was going to see if the one I have would power just one of my CTB16PC controllers, but haven't hooked the inverter up in my vehicle yet.  The one I have is 400 Watts, so not sure if that would supply enough power to run a laptop and a CTB16PC controller along with the lights attached to it.  Only planning on using 4 to 8 channels on the controller, as not sure if I could do all 16.

Anyone try that method, did it work and what size DC to AC Inverter did you use if it did?

Better yet, use pixels and the vehicle battery.. 

Some generators do fine for the freq as long as you don't slam them with a heavy load.  They are rotating machines so the sign wave is pretty darn good.. just watch the freq slump... but LOR controllers will do 50hz ok so you have a 10hz slump you can live with I would bet. 

Thinking about using the Controller on a float in a parade and wondering if hooking up to a generator would cause any issues or problems with the electronics of the controller.  Thanks for any input.  Kevin

You will need a generator that puts out a clean sine wave through its inverter.  We have tested many different generators. Over the years we have had absolutely ZERO issues with Honda's line of electronics-safe / clean sine wave generators.  Some specific models would be on the EU2000i for small projects, EU3000iS for medium projects, and finally the EU6500iS for large projects.  If you are doing audio and speakers, you'll want a clean sine wave generator as well BTW or you may have issues or even damage your electronics.  I would NOT recommend using DC-AC power inverters, we've tried and they do not work and you could damage your electronics, equipment, and even LOR controllers.   For further details on Honda generators, check out: http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators

---Michael

You will need a generator that puts out a clean sine wave through its inverter.  We have tested many different generators. Over the years we have had absolutely ZERO issues with Honda's line of electronics-safe / clean sine wave generators.  Some specific models would be on the EU2000i for small projects, EU3000iS for medium projects, and finally the EU6500iS for large projects.  If you are doing audio and speakers, you'll want a clean sine wave generator as well BTW or you may have issues or even damage your electronics.  I would NOT recommend using DC-AC power inverters, we've tried and they do not work and you could damage your electronics, equipment, and even LOR controllers.   For further details on Honda generators, check out: http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators

---Michael

I'm puzzled by your statement of an DC to AC inverter damaging electronics, they are used to power ELECTRONIC items all the time, Laptop computers, TV's DVD Players, even lights with their own control box.

I've used them for these items many times and for extended durations while my vehicle was in motion {I was not using the electronic items, back seat passengers or exterior electrical lighting were}, so I can see no real reason why one would damage an 120VAC CTB16PC controllers' electronics.  

It just doesn't make sense that it would do damage to electronic items, not when that's what they were actually designed for in the first place.  

So could you please elaborate on how and why an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter would or could cause damage to electronics, especially to an AC controller?   

The inverter I use puts out a steady 120VAC power and I've never had any electronics problems, but like said I have not tried it on a CTB16PC controller as yet, but I will now have to try it and see just what happens, which I believe will be nothing. 

I don't see this as any worse than a brown out or black out when the power company drops voltages and a controller is powered up.