Light-O-Rama Forums

Ditching the Ladder!

rainyoregonchristmas

Last year the CEO of the company I work for fell off a ladder while cleaning gutters in preparation of putting up Christmas lights.  He ended up breaking a hip and now has a limp because of it.  SOoooo this year I thought of doing something a little safer.  Today I just erected two towers of scaffolding, one around my mega tree, and the other along the two story side of my house.  It should make setup much more comfortable and much much safer.  Luckily I also don't have to rent it, my Dad bought it years ago for work on the family farm. 

That leads me to the question....  what is everyone else doing to reach the high places?

I use my bucket truck. 

Showoff :P

Little Giant ladder for me. I don't get more than 15 or so feet off the ground, and I can't justify renting a lift twice a year for the gutters. No house outline for meI  guess, or PlasmaCicles

Hey plasma, do you get a prize at 1000 posts? I see I have 999.

Edited by Ron Boyd

hey he asked!  :D

If ya weren't so far away I would come hang them up for ya!  

If you answer this post you will be at 1000.. and it will have been to my answer to your answer... that in and of itself should be an invaluable prize!   :P:rolleyes:

Edited by plasmadrive

I see you did 1000 with that post.. I thought it was going to be 999 plus one more.. very cool.  I think this is 1019 for me..

Ladder and a bucket truck. I taught and coached two young men whose father owns a tree service company. So last year he volunteered the truck and has again this year. I have a choice of two and one is bigger than the next.

My philosophy of  "if cant reach it with a 10 foot step ladder, it don't happen" started last year. Makes setup so much nicer.

I have a 24' fiberglass extension ladder.  It's heavier and a pain to work with, but I feel much safer than using my friends aluminum ladder.  My oldest son was in town this last weekend and gave me a hand with the ladder.  It helped me out quite a bit, but probably not much fun being a spotter.

Ladder and a bucket truck. I taught and coached two young men whose father owns a tree service company. So last year he volunteered the truck and has again this year. I have a choice of two and one is bigger than the next.

Now that is lucky!  Mine only has a working height of 30'.  I bet the bigger one he has is more like 60'. 

I use a ladder. 

And for the hard to reach places, I use the light strings like a vine and swing to them! :P:lol::D

yeah.. but... how do you get back???  uuummmm...   :PB)

A few years ago, paid a painter $30 to put screw hooks along the peaks.  Now I mostly use a long painter's pole to hang and take down my lights.  I still use a ladder, but less than the old days.

Last year I had the free use of a skyjack but I wasn't able to get it this year so it was back up on the 30' ladder.

I have use of a bucket truck fro the outline of the house not sure of height but can make it up to the  peak of a 2 1/2 story farm house the rest I get from a step ladder or a pole

To put my lights up, I have a 24' fiberglass extension ladder, and also one of the Little Giant Ladder Systems.  When its time for the lights to come down, I just take a pole, lift my lights off the gutters, and they come right off - I don't even bother pulling the ladders out for that.

Since I only have lights on the first story gutters, its not an issue.  However, if I did the second story, then I would probably end up renting a man lift.

My philosophy of  "if cant reach it with a 10 foot step ladder, it don't happen" started last year. Makes setup so much nicer.

+1 for my MT.  I hire it out.to do the rooflines.