Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial Port Error Message

aarontfarrelly

Everytime I open my LOR hardware utility I receive an error message that reads:

"The serial port (Comm1) assigned to LOR has a problem.

You may need to select another port.

Open of serial port 1 has failed.

Error: (8002) Invalid port number

While: Executing Port Open Property"

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Do you have the USB adapter connected when you open the HWU? If not, then you will get this message every time. Just ignore it and continue.

If you do have the USB connected, then you will want to make sure it is using the correct COM port. Click the Auto Configure to get started. It will walk you through the steps.

• 7 months later...

I started having this problem last year... I am now getting it again and I ran the auto config... now I am getting  "uable to locate light o rama port. check to see if connected..powered on... which of course I did... and yes it is.... now what?

I started having this problem last year... I am now getting it again and I ran the auto config... now I am getting  "uable to locate light o rama port. check to see if connected..powered on... which of course I did... and yes it is.... now what?

If you haven't resolved this yet, I'm thinking your usb cable could be suspect or the serial port you were using has failed. Reboot the computer first and try again as I've seen this happen where a port says its working, but its not. If the reboot doesn't fix the port, try a different port and see if the HWU picks it up on the new location. I just had a case of someone's computer, the usb keyboard failed but the computer showed that device was working normally. I tried a different port and it still didn't work. Rebooted and all came back to normal. Apparently, something got messed up in the architecture and all usb communication was lost. Turns out, these people don't normally reboot their computer for very long periods of time as in months or a power loss does it for them. Anyway, it came back to life.

Edited by dgrant

thanks.  I did get it resolved.  It's a brand new computer so nothing better be failing  LOL.  but I ran the auto thingy (I'm not technical)  and reassigned it and all is wel.  As least for now.  But thanks.  And thanks to the forums I found out how to fix it.  Being year 3 for us we are getting it down to a science... We are far from Veterans... and probably don't know half the stuff the software will do.... we learn something new every year.  We have a total of 10 controllers now... I thought it wouldn't be enough but I have left over channels!!  the horror!