Light-O-Rama Forums

Make extension cords / best site to order more lights

flyersfreak78

Hi, We have decided it would be best to make our own extension cords. Anyone have any recommendations on what to use ( I.e. stp2, vampire plugs, etc).

Also any recommendations on where to order supplies for making extension cords and also ordering more lights?

I'm making mine with SPT-2 wire and vampire plugs. They are very simple to make! I got them from ActionLighting.com. I also got "inline" female plugs to add between ends of the cord. They are on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Zip-Plug-Inline-Female-SPT2/dp/B00A0GP6A8/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A09842871X1VK0K36XTO6  Good luck!!!

You can get a roll of 16 spt2 at home depot depending on time constraints. They also carry the "vampire" type plugs there.

well first of all do you get a lot of snow or rain where you live? if you don't then you should look

at spt1 wire instead of spt2. the only difference is the insulation on the wire. if you don't have

a very wet environment the spt1 should work fine. plus spt1 wire is cheaper than spt2.

check with www.allthingschristmasandmore.com they have pretty good prices on wire plugs and lights as

well.

I have dealt with them a lot and they have always been helpful.

good luck

FYI... Earle's vendor Holiday Light Express has some great pricing. I just compared with my source (which is competitively priced) and HLE has very good pricing!

• 2 weeks later...

bhunt240, if you're asking if the lights from the places that I referenced are dimmable, the answer is yes. I have purchased lights from both places and have been very happy with the service and the lights.

• Like 1

Kelly Jett - Not sure what rain/snow has to do with SPT-1 or SPT-2. I thought the only difference was the outside insulation thickness to protect from deterioration from UV rays? Would moisture affect SPT-1 more than SPT-2? I use SPT-1 because it is cheaper and seems to work better with the vampire plugs.