Light-O-Rama Forums

Building A CCR Ribbon Tree

karldrahovsky

Hello,

A newbie.  I am excited to get my 12 CCR ribbons on Monday.

Planning to build a 12 strip CCR tree.

Plan:

I will attach the 12 strands at the top 2 inches apart, opening wider to approx 6ft apart at bottom.  Does this sound right?

Also from the top to the bottom will come forward approx 5 feet to get past a garden.

Every 6" separation on bottom between each strand.  5ft away from the top of the tree where I mount it to the side of the house.

Welcome Karl

Seems a little narrow to me, as mine is at 12" separation at the bottom (11 ft. total width).

But I am sure you will find there is no correct answer. It's what ever you like.

Steve

Thanks for the post, and Frank for leading me to the other thread on pictures and diagrams.  

Last night I've completed my idea;  It's assembled except for a few cross supports, currently, on the ground.  A little more than 12 ft on bottom, and 2-5/8" spacing at the top, approx 29".  I used L-Channel, (like used in drop ceilings), not the steel due to accessibility/price.  It's hard to find materail that is semi-water resistant/proof wouldn't rot for less cost.  Lowes had something like the steal 1" square post.  It was a good penny especially for 24 of them @ 8 ft pieces @ $15ea.  (I think.)  So now it's L-channels, 18 foot long verticals joined at 12' with a 2' overlab with metal tapping screws.  A bit flimsier, cheaper, just will make sure it's more supported at the top.  I may run some PVC up the back to support it against the short side wall of my house.  From there, it will come down to the front of a 5' (from the wall) flower bed.  Not sure if this is too much of a lean from top to bottom yet, but will have to experiment with it this weekend.  

Tonight, I'll add additional cross support.  Paint it tan to match the side of the house.  (As they are too white). Assemble the LEDs with ties as per others spec-one at the 3 inch cut points.

Wouldn't it be nice to get CCR ribbons in other colors, instead of the "white" on the circuit board substrate?

I'll try to keep this updated.

Karl

I wish I had the money for 12 CCR's! Someday....lol. I own one CCR that I bought for one tune but added it to others as well. My current single CCR is tied onto a "3/4 pvc tube, '16 long. If I owned 12 of them for a tree, first thing I would do is a lot of reading in here to find out what worked for others, which you are doing! Very wise. I think I might go with pvc, painted black or buy the gray pvc conduit then make it so that it can be easily assembled/disassembled into individual tubes for storage, without having to remove the CCR's. Cross supports are a given and the base, my first thought is put the tubes into predrilled partial holes in a single strip of wood. Just trying to picture something in my head

Separation depends on if you plan on doing any "graphics"...the closer they are together, the better the graphic will look...I think anyway..

• Like 1

I bulit my 12 CCR tree yesterday, 1.5in spacing at the top, 12in at the bottom. I used treated 2x4 and I used metal strapping to support the CCR`s. This worked great tho as I was screwed down the strapping I could put a bit of torque on it and the strapping stayed rigid. At almost an inch wide it was perfect size to support the ribbon and at $6-8 for a 25ft roll it didn`t break the bank either.