Light-O-Rama Forums

TCM controls what?

pghquest

Ok, I'm trying to figure out exactly when I change the TCM settings in the SuperStar sequencer, what lights am I expecting it to control?

And its showing 4 TCM, how do I actually compute how many I have, and how do I change this in the program?
Furthermore, I'm doing a property where I cant get everything into 1 image, so I'm wondering if I can create 2 separate sequences using 2 different photos, and then just copy and paste the channels into the editor.

Any reason why that wont work?

Each ribbon (or sequencing row) can be assigned a TCM. The TCM that gets assigned to a ribbon (sequencing row) is determined in the "Ribbon Assignments to TCM (Theme/Color/Movement)"

There are some video tutorials that cover all aspects of "instant sequence". Go to the lightorama main page, click on "Support" then click on "Video Tutorials." The SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. The first one you will want to look at is titled "Instant Sequence." The others relating to Instant Sequence are:

Instant Sequence Timing Map

Instant Sequence by Selection Part A

Instant Sequence by Selection Part B

Instant Sequence on a Visualization.

You also ask about doing a property where you can't get everything into 1 image. I am thinking you mean you are doing a Visualization and you can get everything into one visualization and you want to do two visualizations, each using a different photo in the background. Yes, you can do that, and use copy/paste to combine the two sequences in the sequence editor.

Thanks for the response.  I did get time last night to watch the 20 minute video and it didn't answer my question so I thought I'd post it here.  I'm planning on watching other videos today.

My problem is I have 4 series of lights on my roof, LED/RGB, and they seem to program just fine, but the lights I have on my bushes, which is standard white lights, using 12 different plugs, turns off and on so fast, that they look like strobe lights.

I've been trying to figure out how to slow the lights down on the bushes without success.

As for the 2nd question about the 2nd photo, that's what I was hoping.  I've got several levels to my lot and building a mega tree in my lower section.  I tried to just "artificially" pretend the tree was in my front yard for the auto sequencing part of the program, just to mess with it, but it threw the other lights out of whack, (like the roof lights), so I have decided I cant really put both of them on the same visualizer and then try auto sequence.

Edited by pghquest

What version of SuperStar are you running? The version will be in the upper left and will be something like v3.8.0

In the Instant Sequence dialog box click on the "Timing Map" button. In the timing map there should be an "Extend Length of Effects" option. This option was added starting with version 3.10.0.6 so it should be there in your version. If this option is already checked you can also try setting the Sensitivity to a different level.

Also, you mentioned that you tried changing the location of the mega tree but it through other things "out of whack". If you download the latest version of S3 there is a new feature in SuperStar called "Import visualization Pair." This feature allows you to create a "Row" visualization where you arrange things in rows the way you want them to appear on the sequencing rows. Then you also can have a "Real" visualization that has things laid out the way they really are. This gives you control of how to place lights on the sequencing row without changing how they appear in the Real visualization.

To use the feature do the following:

1) Download the latest version of S3 (click on Support, S3 download, Download Now)

2) Launch the visualizer, open your visualization and rearrange things in rows the way you would like them to appear in the sequencing grid.

Save the file with a different name such as "myVisualization_rows.lee"

2) Launch SuperStar

3) Click on the "File" menu and select "Import Visualization Pair"

4) In the top field, specify the "row" visualization that you just created.

In the bottom field specify the "real" visualization that you have been using all along.

Near the bottom of the dialog box you can specify if you want to view the "Row" visualization or the "Real" visualization when applying standard effects

5) Import the visualization pair, note that if you have some rows of lights that use more than 50 squares on the sequencing grid, you may want to set the Sequencing Row "Max Length" to something longer than 50.

Doing the above should help, but I admit that Instant Sequence tends to be too "blinky" and it may still be too blinky even if you do the above. If it is, then you can manually change the effects that you don't like.

• Like 1

Great, thanks for the response.  I'm going to take your suggestions tonight and try them out.  Soon as I finish building my mega tree..  ;) 

• 2 weeks later...