Light-O-Rama Forums

Deep Cycle Battery?

chandalen

I am adding the CMB-24D to my set up.  As for a power source... I was wondering if a deep cycle battery would work. (how well).  I have a very expensive AGM deep cycle that would otherwise be in my garage, and since it is filled to the brim with 12v power.. I was thinking it would be a great idea vs buying a powersupply.  I mean if it can power my camper for 5 days, then how bad could some RGB strips drain it.

In theory I see nothing wrong, and I have seen some posts where people ran a similar setup on their boats... 

Pro's/ Con's ??

Many thanks!

Max has a good point... don't let em freeze for sure.  I would never had thought of that but it is true!

Set the battery on a piece of wood to help insulate from the garage floor. I suggest an intelligent trickle charger. I've not yet got into the DC stuff yet but a auto battery has a ton of power in there so I'm guessing it would work nice. Another quick thought would be to run the battery during the show and after, turn on the charger so there's no chance of transient noise getting through to the DC circuits.

Great info!

I saw somewhere that the 12.5v - 13.2 v that a battery provides COULD damage the RGB strips??  Does the CMB-24D regulate the voltage to 12v max?

Thanks again!

A standing battery will rarely have more than 12.4 v.  And it being deep cycle, it should easily last 6 hours an evening and you can put the charger on it during the day.  And that way you don't have to worry about the 13+v of the charging cycle.