Light-O-Rama Forums

grrrr controller wont change IDS

paralegalnc

well I guess it does...technically.  I got a unit... I go to hardware... change the ID from say.... 2 to 3... it comes up  "unit ID changed....." so on and so forth... plug up my test lights... turn on, off, blink, shimmer... run through a little test sequence.....all is great.  Paint the number on it.... take off the lights.... unplug it....

Time to set up.... plug up controller, plug lights into the appropriate thingys..... run sequence.....WTH!  .... this one box will not remember it's name! it goes back to the original unit ID that I changed it from.  Now sure... I can go change all the sequences and use THAT number... but..um..... well...that's a bitch....   why won't it listen?? why does it want to be rebellious at this time! doesn't it KNOW I am soooo far behind.  I am just now getting lights to go up...I'm not done with my sequences and I have 7 little trees to still make... and lights to untangle... I do not have time for disrespectful controllers!

What kind of controller is it. If it has dials like a DC board you can change it with the hwu but it will go back to the settings on the board once it's powered down

how is changing the sequences to match your controller number that difficult?  if the one controller is defaulting back to a controller number already in use why not just put that controller in that spot and re-ID the other controller?  if its using an ID not currently in use then thats even easier

how is changing the sequences to match your controller number that difficult?  if the one controller is defaulting back to a controller number already in use why not just put that controller in that spot and re-ID the other controller?  if its using an ID not currently in use then thats even easier

not difficult I guess but very time consuming....time of which I have very little these days

its not one with a rotary dial.  I go in the hardware thing and change it there.  It says "unit ID changed to 8".  then I test all the lights and it works.  But once I take power off of it, it has a memory lapse I guess.

haven't done anything else but that.  How do you "reset" it.  Is it like a factory restore or something?

Interesting. I had a ServoDog that failed about a month ago. LOR replaced it and the replacement had the same problem. Power it off for more than a short time and it reverted to ID=2. LOR sent me another one but I have not had time to check it out. I'll configure it tonight and if OK, I will put it into service tomorrow.

BTW, the ServoDog does not have dials to set the ID.

You know whats bad about getting old? You feel like you have been there and done that. I am having that feeling right now and I think it was one of those dumb things that can cause this. Ok, to do a board reset and I presume from what you are telling me that you have one of the PC models. I am not up todate on the G3 boards and thus it might be different. But what you want to do is remove power. Then to the right and slightly up from the brains chip (largest just below the RJ-45 chip). Remove the jumper that is across the pins. Note the location 2nd row down. Power up for about 30 seconds. Power back down and reinstall the jumper. Power back up and try setting the ID again.

You know whats bad about getting old? You feel like you have been there and done that. I am having that feeling right now and I think it was one of those dumb things that can cause this. Ok, to do a board reset and I presume from what you are telling me that you have one of the PC models. I am not up todate on the G3 boards and thus it might be different. But what you want to do is remove power. Then to the right and slightly up from the brains chip (largest just below the RJ-45 chip). Remove the jumper that is across the pins. Note the location 2nd row down. Power up for about 30 seconds. Power back down and reinstall the jumper. Power back up and try setting the ID again.

It's all easily explained in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2LvQUcwqc

and for a more detailed description on the First Generation models, see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

After watching these, I'm sure the "light" will go on.