Light-O-Rama Forums

NutCracker .vs. Clipboard

Frybread

Although I have read many work arounds for using the clipboard export from Nutcracker. I continue to have issues with some songs getting imported.

I watch task manager and about the time the LOR hits ~1.7GB it crashes. Smaller imports seem to work.

How are others getting around it. I have not put on the 4GB patch. but I have turned off auto recover.

Does it make sense to create a library of short effects and save them out?  it will not be perfect but it might at least get me through this season.

Ideas, Comments, Sanity Check!!

Use the 4gig patch and watch task manager. It will allow you to do so much more at one time. When you see it hit around 3.5g save your work and restart LOR.  I had to convert 13 songs for this years show and it worked well for me. I did have to update my computer for a little more speed.

Jeff

Just as an update. I have been doing some smaller clipboard features.  10 to 30 seconds and importing them into my sequence via the clipboard.  This has been working well for my needs.

Maybe next year I will get the whole thing setup properly and work through all the songs.

Thank You for the assistance.

I work the other direction. For my non-RGB stuff (about 400 channels) and for some small RGB stuff (window frames), I use LOR S3 latest version.

But, I have some big RGB items. Two Matrices.  One is a 40x24 horizontal matrix. It is fully functional and I've used it a lot and recently for Halloween. I also am finishing a 72x54 horizontal matrix. Both are too big to handle in LOR normally.

So, rather than create my Matrix effects and pasting into LOR, I am doing all my normal work in LOR, then saving it as the normal LMS file.

Then, in xLights/Nutracker, I convert it from LMS to XSEQ format (the normal xLights format). Then, I can link it with the already created Nutcracker XML file (and it links merely by having the same EXACT name. When I open it, I see my two Matrix models and their commands. I click SAVE and it now merges the LOR/LMS with the Nutcracker.

Nutcracker will not overwrite your LOR DMX channels (unless you have mis-managed the channels and have some overlap somewhere).

Now, you could TRY to reconvert back to LMS and reload into LOR, but it may be a big file and long load.

I just use xLights as my player and scheduler.

I've also used the Falcon Pi Player (FPP) from FalconChristmas with great results for Halloween. Totally freed my PC for editing work while the show ran uneventfully.

So, I don't have any great advice for those of you pasting huge sequences back into LOR other than - it isn't necessary.

And - in case you think it is time consuming - multiple times for Halloween, I'd notice something in the LOR portion of my sequence, make the change, save it, convert it to XSEQ, re-merge the Nutcracker models into the XSEQ, and be playing the updated sequence in about 4 minutes. I'll admit to being nervous about this method at first but it worked well for me.

Of great interest to those of you creating LOR S3 clipboard files to paste into your sequences:

The newest version of xLights/Nutcracker (Nov 15, ver 3.2.7) at http://www.nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases 

now allows you export a specific Model only. It used to export all the channels, but now it is just the channels defined in the Model definition.

This makes the clipboard file much smaller.

I save my Nutcracker sequence as a separate LOR (.lms) file.  I add a new channel in  my original LOR sequence and have it "call upon" the newly created Nutcracker LOR sequence that I just made.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just now experimenting with the latest version of nutcracker and trying to use it with LOR, but I can not seem to understand (after watching videos) how the effects

are mapped to my controllers ID's (using standard LOR protocol, not DMX) I tried importing my current LOR sequence, creating an effect for my CCR megatree and then saving as LOR and opening in LOR sequencer. Of course it took a few minutes but it came in with generic channel configuration. I really just want to create and export a few effects via the clipboard but again, I don't think the channels are lined up correctly. Even just doing a test in xlights with one CCR attached I only get the first 16 to 20 pixels to respond. The CCR tests fine in LOR hardware tool. Thanks for any workflow tips regarding channels.

CCR megatree with 10 ribbons and standard LOR controllers

Jeff

• The topic was locked