Light-O-Rama Forums

An introduction and sanity check

reelthrill

Hello from Round Rock, TX.  I am about enter this damned hobby, and I have been reading, learning and planning.  Time for me to wade into the conversations.  Let me start by saying I am not going to try to pull this off for Christmas 2013.  This is my Christmas 2014 plan.  I have no Christmas decorations at this time, so I am a clean slate (blame the lack of decorations on a divorce, and entering the decoration scene based on a 2 year marriage where the new wife wants decorations).

Attached are 2 documents.  One is a pic of the house, and where I propose to place my segments.  The other is a scale representation of the yard and where I plan to place segments.  I alternated segment colors between orange, red and yellow so it is easier to see where one segment ends and another starts. 

Sanity check items of my post:

1.  CCB's (2 segments per controller) CCR's (one controller per ribbon, one window will have 2 ribbons chained together) Does that look right? 

2.  I am also a little confused on where to place my controllers (or how to stop contorllers from walking off in the night). 

3.  I understand the AC AMP draw limitations requirements.  However the DC power supplies I need for the CCR and CCB's is confusing me.  How many dedicated plugs will I need?  I have 6 slots in my circuit box that I can add 15 or 20 AMP circuits to.  Will I need all of those?  I wouldn't think so, but power sizing the DC Voltage has me stumped.

Shopping List:

(1) LOR Upgraded SW

(1) FM Broadcaster

(1)LOR CTB16PC - 15 Amps per side 8 Amps max per channel

(1) Spool SPT-2 (16-2) wire to solder to the net lights and yard decorations to plug into the LOR CTB16PC, and run power to the decentralized controllers

(40) Vampire plugs

(2) Deer

(1)Santa Claus

(10) LED White Net lights for all shrubs – Segments 37, 38, 39 (3 groups of lights)

(6) 250 White LED string lights to wrap deer and Santa Claus – Segment 28

(17)  RGB Dumb Ribbons (16’ each) for outlining the house (big window will need 2 ribbons daisy chained)

(16) RGB Controllers for house outline

(5) Sets of CCR for Columns and garage columns – Segments 1, 2, 7, 8, 9

(7) Sets of CCB RGB for outlining the yard, trees, and flower beds

(2) Clear Pex to put the Ribbon arches in for protection and flexibility

(20) ¾” PVC to cut to 18” pieces with a notch at the top- decorate as candy cane poles and place in ground to hold lights

(10) J Molding for holding lights on the gutters and roof line

I realize for a first step this may be a lot, but I think it will give me a lot of flexibility to grow into holiday decorating for the future...I hope.

If you are still reading, thank you in advance, for your time and guidance.

post-12959-0-21739500-1383014766_thumb.j

Yard light Layout.pdf

Welcome to the party of LOR.

You have a nice house there and looks to me you have a great plan laid out.

Looks to me you could secure your controllers with a chain going around the porch columns and locked on the front porch out of view. I have a few controllers inside my garage for my lights mounted around the garage area. I also have my laptop in the garage so the daisy chain of all controllers starts in the garage. 

Maybe a controller or two mounted between seg 14 & 15 or 15 & 16 on the side of the rock wall (wouldn't really be noticed I don't think).

You could possibly chain a controller to the trees. I've done this before in public places and they did fine.

With what your listing, I see using just a few of the 6 circuits you have available. LEDs go a long way. The AC controller will take one for sure.

I know others will chime in here as there are a bunch of great folks here.

The best thing is, you are planning ahead for next year and right now is the time to get everyone's thoughts/ideas as we start to set up.

Keep returning to this forum daily and you will learn alot.

You house is a great canvas for a wonderful light show. It's evenly balanced. I can imagine it already.

Again, welcome aboard.

Tom

I suggest that you use all CCBs and not use any CCRs. CCR controllers are not weather proof. They are only flexible in 1 direction so the squared off portion at the bottom of your columns will have to be twisted 90 degrees to make the turns, putting the edge facing the street. My own personal experience is they are not reliable. I have one CCR that has 5 dead sections (it is 2 years old).

You are going to have a lot of flexibility, and a lot of channels to sequence. You need to start sequencing ASAP.

Sanity???? LOL, not sure any of us is sane...lol. Welcome to the world of lights to music! Nice house, nice layout. Wish I could afford to go to CCP's, CCB's and so on. I'm doing good with %95 LED's. Possily next year, will get into DC stuff and figure it out. Sequencing is your greatest challenge as its practically a form of art and yes, you need to get started as soon as possible as time flies by all too fast. Some people here are already putting up their displays and others like myself will start putting them up immediately after Halloween.

I'm glad to see someone wanting to get started and not expecting to get it done this year. Kudos to you for using your head.

The best advice I can give is something I can't seem to do myself. Once you're satisfied with your lay-out, try not to change anything. I keep saying I won't change anything and someone comes up with an element that I just have to have.

I like your layout. As stated above though, if you go with the strips, treat them like you would hold a newborn baby, gentle and loving. The CCP/Bs will give a more christmas bulb look and they're much more durable, but still a bit fragile

Welcome to the addict.............er, I mean, hobby. Yeah, yeah, that's it, hobby. Welcome to the hobby :)  :P

Thank you all for the tips and advice.  I plan to start sequencing, and want to use the visualizer other threads have mentioned.  That is why the plan is so key to me.  I want to start sequencing based on the plan, once I see it in action, I can make changes as I will have the experience under the belt. 

Changing the ribbons to CCB's, I will rework my plan with that in mind.  Not a bad way to go as the strings are longer than the ribbons, and each bulb controller runs 2 lines.  Ultimately less controllers, less power runs, and less networking.

I still don't understand the DC Amp draw.  I read somewhere where an AC Amp does not correlate to a DC Amp, it isn't 1:1.  I am not an Electrical Engineer, and I will never pretend to be.  However if LOR were to give us guidance like: A max of 8 CCB controllers can be run on one dedicated 15 AMP outlet.  Or, A Max of 10 CCB controllers can be run on one dedicated 20 AMP outlet.  That would be helpful.

what is this SANITY you speak of? :D 

That was something you checked at the door to this place.  Maybe you'll find it again on your way out.

I second the advice to avoid CCRs in favor of CCBs and CCPs.  There are a few applications where CCRs are clearly the best option, but wherever you can modify your plans to use something else, do so without hesitation.

You might want to get a set of CC Pixels to fool around with before setting any plans in stone.  I'm a big fan of CC Bulbs, but I picked up a set of CCPs during the summer sale just to fool around with.  Had I started fooling around with them sooner, my display would have been full of them this year.  If you want to see something really cool, shop after Christmas sales and pick up a 6-foot unlighted tree and string 100 pixels on it.  I guarantee that will keep you up half the night.

Welcome.  Be sure to bring along your sense of humor when you stop by.

Just replanned using all RGB Bulbs instead of ribbons.  Total count dropped to 15 Bulb controlllers. And as pointed out, they are all weathertight, ready to go.  I just need to power and network them.  I also just realized they are AC and draw .3 Amps each.  So all 15 power supplies will draw around 4.5 Amps.  In short, One dedicated circuit line for RGB Bulbs, and one dedicated line for the ShowTime CTB16PC to manage the net lights, santa and deer.

This is my second year... and you are right... I wouldn't try this year and PLANNING is the key.  Last year I drove myself crazy making changes.  This year I have plan... and a blue print of the house.  (think I will get the picture part laminated for next year).  I cut out little props and move them around the paper to see what I want.  I have to make "tweaks" not changes this year. 

Sanity? I think you have to be INSANE to even get into this addiction. ... I mean hobby.  Once it starts, you can't stop it...so be afraid, very afraid.  Last year there was a full  moon over my house while my show was going on...big beautiful moon... I actually thought about incorporating it into my show but couldn't figure out how to make the darn think blink.  Then it just made me mad. 

Last year there was a full  moon over my house while my show was going on...big beautiful moon... I actually thought about incorporating it into my show but couldn't figure out how to make the darn think blink.  Then it just made me mad. 

First contact Belden Cable and see if, by next year, they can make you a 275,000 mile(a bit more than you may need) Cat 6 cable that will work in a vacuum and tolerate extreme UV radiation . Oh yea, they will need to develop an orbiting interface swivel to deal with Earth's rotation. 

You will also need a few switches to cover the distance... perhaps 2,420,000 to if you round off the ethernet limit to 600 ft. 

Second: Contact Delta Airlines, Spaceflight division, and book a round trip to the moon.

Supplies: 

Be sure to take a nuclear power source.

2 LOR controllers (1 for backup)

Some very large shutters or mirrors to alter the light from the sun falling on the moon... and the interfaces to for the controller. 

oh yea, pack a lunch. 

There you go... Simple  :)

Edited by zeighty

Contact Boeing Aircraft, shell out somewhere between $100M-$200M and have them build you a spacecraft with huge wings with LED's on it! Watch it fly by with lights blinking to an XM radio channel. It'll last about 15 years. LOL, I know, I know...but it would be cool and yes, it can be done if you have funds beyond what people can dream of.

Contact Boeing Aircraft, shell out somewhere between $100M-$200M and have them build you a spacecraft with huge wings with LED's on it! Watch it fly by with lights blinking to an XM radio channel. It'll last about 15 years. LOL, I know, I know...but it would be cool and yes, it can be done if you have funds beyond what people can dream of.

at least it will last 15 years....that's longer than some of my strands of lights..lol

Welcome aboard!  Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and a great wife/helper by your side!  You're better off losing the old stuff anyway, quality and variety is better these days.  I'd like to dabble in the pixel world next year, but I'm probably getting screwed with healthcare.

An update for those interested.  I have been playing with sequencing.  I have started aquiring LED lights for the yard art, net lights for the bushes, and LED's for outlining the windows.  The RGB CCB controller requirements wouldn't allow me to wrap the winds evenly.  For example, the dining windows are 3' X 7' each. The upstairs windows are 3' X 5' (16' around).  With Concave 5mm LED lights, I can size the strands to work.  That said, I have a 16 Channel LOR controller on the way, and I also have 1 RGB Bulb Controller set on the way. 

I am finding that sequencing isn't that hard, but it IS TIME CONSUMING!  4 hours and I am 30 seconds in.  My plan for now with the RGB set is to lay it out against my plan.  That should help me determine spacing/distance requirements, gutter mounts, yard stake placement, controller mounting options, etc for each controller and it's two strings (I have dropped "segment" from my light vocabulary).  For example, on the plan pictured above, I will first mount the controller in the center of the garage, and run each string out to the end of the garage, then down and back up to whereever it stops.  I will drive a couple of concrete spikes into mortar joints, and string the CCB's tight to those.  Once set and determined, I move on to the next controller section. That will help me get the plan exact for leveraging the visualizer sw.

I have a year to get it all figured out.

The point you made of "sequencing is TIME CONSUMING" is exactly what we all stress. Sequence, sequence, sequence. That's where most of this hobby is spent on.

last year I did 5 songs and had over 100 hours in it.  (my first year)  This year I thought it would be "easier" less "time consuming".  WRONG.  I worked on the last minute of my song for 6 hours.  Damn OCD. 

Every friggin night this week after dinner I am on this damn computer sequencing.  The first song I am doing is Amazing Grace by Celine Dion.  No beat, I had to use the beat wizard to find a tempo.  Thank goodness for fill and copy.  I listened to the song 4 times and made notes in my notebook of ke song events.  LIke where might a twinle be good, where are the crescendos, etc.  Then I went into the song, programmed those unique events and the ending.  Now I am filling the in between parts.  Practicing with chase, swiping the house left to right and right to left, etc.  My wife came in tonight asking if I was programming again, and I said yes.  My first song for my style of music will be First Snow by Trans Siberian Orchestra.  LED C7 Window LIghts and Concave mini net lights arrived today.  Waiting on 1000' of SPT1, plugs, the 16 channel LOR controller, and the CCB controller.  I am adding 2 dedicated circuits to the garage with 6 plugs each tomorrow.

Then I can layout all the regular LED's, and connect the LED's up and start watching the sequencing this far and adjust.  I will buy the rest of the CCB's when there is a sale later in the year.  Hopefully my plan goes relatively smooth.

Every friggin night this week after dinner I am on this damn computer sequencing.  The first song I am doing is Amazing Grace by Celine Dion.  No beat, I had to use the beat wizard to find a tempo.  Thank goodness for fill and copy.  I listened to the song 4 times and made notes in my notebook of ke song events.  LIke where might a twinle be good, where are the crescendos, etc.  Then I went into the song, programmed those unique events and the ending.  Now I am filling the in between parts.  Practicing with chase, swiping the house left to right and right to left, etc.  My wife came in tonight asking if I was programming again, and I said yes.  My first song for my style of music will be First Snow by Trans Siberian Orchestra.  LED C7 Window LIghts and Concave mini net lights arrived today.  Waiting on 1000' of SPT1, plugs, the 16 channel LOR controller, and the CCB controller.  I am adding 2 dedicated circuits to the garage with 6 plugs each tomorrow.

Then I can layout all the regular LED's, and connect the LED's up and start watching the sequencing this far and adjust.  I will buy the rest of the CCB's when there is a sale later in the year.  Hopefully my plan goes relatively smooth.

TSO is really good to start with as the beats are real specific.  I listen to a song on my ipod like a gazillion times before I start to sequence... I know every beat, crescendo everything... that's why I can't do "heat miser" for my husband.  I hate that song...and to listen to it over and over and over.... I'd shoot myself in the head.  I've been sequencing every night this week too.  I don't even get up for dinner...they bring it to me LOL.    And to think...you are on next year.... yep... you got CLAP... already.  LOL  (Christmas light addiction problem)    We had to put in a service on our garage...it needed it anyway..but had to run a subpanel to the other side of the house... (city wouldn't let us add to our existing service...don't ask me why)  Husband did that today... so I guess tonight i have to reconfigure where my controllers go... had a plan... tweaking... then I guess we will start plugging up. 

Have had people stop and ask when we are starting the show... one asked when we start testing...they like to come and watch... again..don't ask me why... -