Light-O-Rama Forums

First Conroller - Want to Build a Light Tree

toy4x4

Hey all, I'm ne here and just got my first controller this week. I am putting together a simple Halloween display this week (took off work), but have already started to think about Christmas

What I'm wanting to do as a start this yer is take 8 channels and put together a 10' or so  light tree in the front yard.. I'm just wanting a sanity check and any tips based on your experience.

So I have read that 100 mini light strands are usually around 23 foot long. This is just a general planning length and the tree will be the height dictated by using on strand to go up on one side and down on the back side. (Don't fell like doing the math).

I can use a thick PVC in the middle to provide a center pole, but I'm not sure how to build the round base.

Any pictures/tips/ideas would be good.,

Yes, I am already seeing the need to get another controller :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I'd use PVC for the center pole, unless you're planning on using a 2" pipe...but at that cost, metal conduit would be cheaper. Depending on what you want on the bottom will depend on your "base". If you're planning on doing up and over and that's it, you could stake each end down into the ground. That's what I do for a couple of my mega trees. If you don't want to do that, you can make a circle out of 1/2" PVC in 4 sections and use "t's" to connect them...that way the third connection hole can point down to put a section of PVC pipe into and into the ground to anchor it down. There are other bases that can be made out of PVC that are more complicated and typically to make a specific shape at the bottom of the tree.

I do something similar. I use a piece of "1/2 pvc staked into the ground that's short. The base ring is also "1/2 pvc in a circle which can be done in whatever method you choose. I stake that base ring to the ground but its only there to tie off strings too. For the center pole, I use "1 black gas pipe, screwed into a '1 adapter which is screwed down to a piece of wood with a hole in it, that fits over the top of the short piece of pvc. On top of the black pipe is another adapter which is identical to the bottom one with the holes in it for tie wires. I use "1/16th steel wires (4) tieing down the pole to "12 steel stakes. Then hang lots of guide wires from the same adapter to the base ring and tie off with zip ties which allows for unlevel ground. These guide wires provide for the shape of the tree when hanging light strings. Lastly, I hang 32 strings of lights on mine, 16 one direction and 16 overlapping the other direction. Two controllers are mounted on the inside.