Light-O-Rama Forums

Silhouette Nativity

cluebbe

This should have been my first post, as the Nativity is the most important part of my show (and rightfully so), even though it won't be dancing to any music.  A couple of year ago my wife, 4 year old daughter and I saw this amazing silhouette Nativity.  The concept appeared to be quite simple, but upon trying to research it on the internet I have had zero success in finding out how he did it.  I am almost tempted to drive to the neighboring town and the house where I think it was at, knock on the door and ask them how they did it.  Before I do, I wanted to check here.

The easy part (well relatively easy) is projecting the image of the nativity on a piece of plywood, cutting it out and then painting it.  That I can handle, no worries.  What really caught my eye was how he lighted the nativity.  Rather than projecting a flood light on it from the front, he projected a light on it from behind - very cool.  What I am not sure of is, do I need a stable behind Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus to completely enclose it to give it the desired effect.  I am hoping someone might have made something similar before.  

I don't want to cast a shadow behind the nativity, rather I want to backlight it creating a shadowbox-esque appearance.  

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly welcomed!

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I've seen some very nice silhouette Nativities and I believe all they were was plywood cut-outs painted black, in front of a white stable/screen, with back lighting on the screen, not on the front of the cutouts.  Another version I saw had the black cutouts outlined in clear rope and it was very attractive.