Light-O-Rama Forums

stumped on Pixel Extender not working

plasmadrive

I am stumped.  I have 2 e6804 driving 8 universes.  The do this via Pixel extender from J1Sys.  However.. today I put up the last of the 8 universes and the very last one.. the farthest one I put up today from the controller has problems.  When I feed it data, all the pixels turned white.  They won't shut off without powering down either.

I have checked the cable, the wiring for correctness, the pixels themselves and all test out fine.  I disconnected 8 and moved 7 over to it and it worked fine.  Univ 8 just doesn't want to play nice with the extender and a 40' cable.   I swapped the Pixel Extenders as well and that did nothing to change the outcome.  There is 4.75vdc right on the chip on the Extender. Should be plenty.

The only difference between this and the other universes is this one only has 60 pixels instead of 150.  I changed that on the 6804 web page and it make no difference.

I actually have another univ that is farther away wire wise at it works great!  I can use a short cable and the Pixels Extender works fine.  I even put a 40' cable on the ground and tried it and again, all white.  

I either have two bad Extenders, or the lighting Gods just don't like me..  They let the other 7 work fine.. just not this one.. I tried reversing D+ and D- so I know that is not the problem.  Using a 5' cable with the extender works, but not a 40' cable.  Using long cables is what they are built for.  Just can't get this one to work.

Any ideas?

Cables are wired correctly.. everything tested, should have worked..

However, not 10 minutes ago I took a third extender and plugged it in and it works.  everything else the same, just changed boards.  Not sure why I would have two bad ones.  And the real kicker is that they work with 5' cables just fine.    All I can think of is that the differential input on the chip is not seeing both sides and then it becomes just noise and not data. 

This is so weird.

Cables are wired correctly.. everything tested, should have worked..

However, not 10 minutes ago I took a third extender and plugged it in and it works.  everything else the same, just changed boards.  Not sure why I would have two bad ones.  And the real kicker is that they work with 5' cables just fine.    All I can think of is that the differential input on the chip is not seeing both sides and then it becomes just noise and not data. 

This is so weird.

What with all the issues you've been having lately do you live under some huge power distribution lines or something?? :P

man... you just gotta wonder.

I am now in battle with the DC-DC converter company.  6 of 26 failed and they say it can't be their fault.  Internally shorted to the metal case and they are potted.  No physical way it could not be them, expecially since I didn't even power up several of them... found it with and ohm meter.  The ones that work work great..  so far..

• The topic was locked