Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB or LED ?

Dave S

OK...I was told read,read and more reading...And the inevitable confusion...

As I am going into this new...And arch,s are my first concern and project....I have seen that RGB brings a huge choice potential that LED doesn,t...Is RGB software tougher? And is the cost that much more?Anyone willing to offer the pro,s and con,s?

Dave

I am just starting to work with RGB led this year.  The learning curve seem to be very steep right now lots of new things. The cost is higher for RGB.  There are a number of post on this sight about RGB.  David from HolidayCoro has a great video series on RGB.

http://vimeo.com/19152886

I have found that there isn't so much a difference in cost, you can achieve some of the same things with LED's as you do with RGB's BUT RGB's use fewer lights (by design) and add a range of effects you can't duplicate with LED's (matrix boards, being able to control each individual bulb).

From the responses,or lack thereof, I,ll assume that RGB just isn,t as popular..Or maybe their even more busy trying to get done and don,t post !!

I,m still leaning that way myself..

From the responses,or lack thereof, I,ll assume that RGB just isn,t as popular..Or maybe their even more busy trying to get done and don,t post !!

yes, we are very busy,  a lot of members have started using pixel technology and are on a different forum geared for the DIY.  One advantage that leds have over RGB lights is, many more points of light giving it a more traditional Christmas feel.  A lot of us here use dumb RGB ribbons which is easier than the pixels, but the pixels can do some crazy cool things.  It just depends on your skillset and how big your wallet is and TIME.

Pixels and ribbons...Ribbons being a strip while pixels are indivual bulbs on a string?I have a idea of the RGB forum but am hesitant to ask so as not to disrespect the host of this great site...Maybe a PM ?

IMO, now is not the time to try and do a display from scratch using RGB (dumb or smart).  Start that project in January and have firm plans as to what props will use those type of lights.  The sequencing is more time consuming but not impossible.  I would go with a basic display using LED's (not to many if you are only gonna replace them next year) then build on that next year.