Light-O-Rama Forums

32 channel sequences

brewers

Got a 32 channel setup delivered about a month ago.  Just started my first song for xmas and this is gonna take awhile.  Anyway to get some 32 channel sequences to help me for my first xmas?

Thanks

See a post I replied to "First Timer" lots of info in it. Also you need to decide on your channel layout before sequencing. LOR suggest groups of 4. Their layout is in my post as noted above.

Now to your sequence Question - save the frustration for next year and buy them from the LOR Sequence Store. Buy the ones you can modify. May seem costly, but after you sequence your first song from scratch you will understand it is very, very time consuming... However, if the put the prices $10 cheaper I think they would sell a boatload more. You may think that modifying a sequence is better than starting from scratch, sometimes it is, but there is a lot to do to get am existing sequence to work with your layout.

Here's to a blessed Christmas 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a first timer last year.   Some tips from my humble experience:

1. Sequencing is an art, and like all creative endeavors, you need to know what you are working with.   In this case, what lights do you have, where will you put them, and what kind are they?   For example, I have a bunch of candy canes that I sequence differently (and for different musical elements) than I do a single tree.   Each element, to me, has a different "personality" that suits it to different effects and works better or worse for a given point in the song. 

2. You may find that creating your own sequences is easier than purchasing and modifying an existing sequence for the very reason I mentioned above.  I moved recently, and the 1-story house I left has a much different "stage" (if you will) than the 2-story house I am in now.  That will force me to re-design the setup of my lights, which directly changes how I will want to sequence them.   You will have the same issues in modifying a sequence designed for someone else's setup, even if it has the same number of channels. 

3. Sequences do not have to be complex to be effective.   Of course, more complex sequences can be more *impressive*, but these aren't the same thing.   As you learn to work with the sequencer, you'll get more creative and your sequences will get more complex. 

4. My sequences are rarely "finished"; they are all works in progress.  I will watch a sequence and find something to tweak often; if you visited my house for several nights in a row, you'd likely be able to spot small changes here and there.   This also applies as the wife allows(/doesn't notice) extra funds for more lights...   :)

5. Since many songs are repetitive (verses follow a particular cadence, choruses are usually identical or vary only slightly), you may find that you can cut and paste large sections of songs.   I do this a lot, and then find ways to alter the pastes, if warranted, to either suit the mood of the song at that point or to just mix things up and keep it interesting.  

6. One good thing about pre-made sequences is that if you have seen a particular effect, by examining the sequence you can see how it was done.   This is probably more valid when talking about RGB devices, as with normal lights there aren't a whole lot of exotic effects to be had; it's more about the timing and the aesthetics of which light firing when best matches the music. 

So my advice to you would be to figure out your light setup, and then concentrate on the sequencing. 

Joe

• Like 1

I agree all the way with jtomason! His thoughts match mine exactly. Its all in the mind of the person doing the sequences and achieving the desired effects during the song. Some of us are fast with the sequencer and others take more time. I can do a song in a few hours but I can easily get burned out where the brain slows down...have to walk away, then come back to it. He's also right on the spot about continual improvements. I couldn't count the number of times that I looked at videos of last years display and finding errors or things needing improvement and I'm right back in there fixing it.

The joy is when you see the children, grandchildren or kids in the neighborhood, all excited and running around, dancing to the lights/music and running around out there watching.

cant wait to start setting up outside but first need to find some 32 channel sequences any and all will help. been getting lots of requests for some Christmas remix "dubstep"  any help with this

pm me i'll send some 96 chan ones over and you can pick and choose what sections/parts you like and go from there.. thats how i started. because if you only get 32, you'll end up copying exactly how someone elses looks, at least this way you can have some variety

cant wait to start setting up outside but first need to find some 32 channel sequences any and all will help. been getting lots of requests for some Christmas remix "dubstep"  any help with this

it would be helpful if you let us know what kind of props you are going to use.  When I was at 32 channels mine consisted of a 16 channel mega tree plus 10 mini trees and other assorted items.  depending on what you are wanting to do then folks here with a similar setup will most likely be glad to share and the mods are at a minimum.

i don't have any props really. mostly just handmade mini trees and wanting arches! like 3-4 of them. i split most of my channels up using the windows and roof-line and giant tree last year. but i had 16 channels. this year i have 32. i want to use the 16 i had last year for the outline oh my house and the other 16 will be ultimately for arches,ground outline or mini candycanes with  2 channels. and a mess of handmade mini trees. but thiss all may change due to the short time i have.