Light-O-Rama Forums

Hourly Scheduled Show, Background and Static Lighting other times

kiplorenzo

Hi Gang,

So I am trying to have the light show scheduled once an hour, and then just have regular music and a static display the rest of the time. I have seen a couple of posts, but not many in the how to.

Can anyone give some recommendations about different and easy ways to do this? It is crunch time as I just got the display up and working this weekend, and have atleast 5 songs to do.

thanks

Kip

Are you running the show from a PC, or from an MP3 director or a standalone controller?

If you're running it from the PC, then the way to go would be to make multiple shows.  One show is your "real" show, with the lights flashing and the music going.  Then make an entirely different show that has just music and a static display.  Then use the LOR Schedule Editor to schedule your "real" show at the time you want it playing, and your music/static show at other times.

Exactly how to make the music/static show depends upon how you want it to behave, but perhaps something like this:

Make one animation sequence, and a bunch of musical sequences. 

Make the animation sequence, say, ten seconds long, and turn on all the lights all the time.  Put it in the Animation section of your show (using the LOR Show Editor).  Choose "Play Concurrently" in the Animation section of the show (this will make it loop over and over even if you decide to put other animations into the Animation section too).

For each musical sequence, don't put any channels in except for a single "dummy" channel that is set up as device type "None", without a unit ID or circuit ID or whatever.  Put them all in the Musical section of your show (using the LOR Show Editor).

From a Laptop... I will try what you suggest above this weekend and let you know. I'm also looking at the Zara Radio option.

thanks

Kip

• 4 weeks later...

So I built my first small show for a preview this weekend. The scheduler sends it off at the right time, but not sure how to set this up as static. Maybe some help with what the tabs do in the show builder. :)

thanks

Kip

I looked through the documentation... Not sure if I am understanding....

What I want to have is a static display for except for on the hour, the thx wav will play dimming down the static display. then on the hour, the system is supposed to play 1 song and then go back to a static display.

This will happen daily except on weekends when the show will go 1 hour later.

With the Background tab, will that turn off when a song starts in the scheduler?

thanks

Kip

Just my 2¢.  Your idea was my idea my first year.  It only lasted maybe a week.  When I would see people pull up and sit there with static lights and an announcement that the next show would start in xx minutes then drive away before the show started, I started playing the show continuously.

I not have a definitive start and end to my show and I turn the lights on for pictures for 2 minutes between shows.

You sure do not want a bunch of people leaving because they do not understand what is going on and miss all your hard work.

Well, for one, we are out in the country and I have a small development that I live in.  So I would like to not drive the neighbors crazy with Flashing lights... Plus, I do not have the time to sequence up about 10 songs. I originally planned for 6 songs, once played each hour. :)

Others have done it. But it's a lot of work compared to scheduling one show and letting it fly from 6 to 10 PM. Have you considered just adding a couple 10 minute "lights on" sequences between some of the songs? That way your viewers don't have to wait 45 minutes if they show up late for the scheduled show and it's a lot easier to do ;)

The sequencing takes a long time to do... I had to redo a file that during a file copy operation I lost.... I spent 8 hours (from 6:30p-2:30a) programming.

10 songs is WAY too many.  I run 6 songs all cut down to 2-2.5 minutes. total show is less than 15 minutes. 

I beg to differ...I run a 2 HOUR show that consists of 50 or so distinct songs and audio drops....it is broken into groups of about 4-5 songs with a cute sequenced audio drop narrated by Kevin(demented elf) in between....the annual funny Top Ten list that Kevin puts out every year acts as the half way marker give or take...

Show runs twice a night, three times on Fri/Sat...there is a 3 minute gap where the lights go dark and the announcement indicates the next show will start in approx. 3 mins.

We get lots of repeat customers because the variety and amount of songs for not just the one timers but also even for the locals who tend to swing by and catch a song or two...I publish the set list and so they know when to come to catch portions they may not have already seen!

The bumpers or drops that separate the song groups act as a natural "move along" time as well for those folk just looking to catch a couple songs...

WARNING:  You have to be committed to traffic management if you run a show of any length like this....We are outside every night interacting, handing out candy canes, making sure the street is passable, etc...

Hi Gang,

So I am trying to have the light show scheduled once an hour, and then just have regular music and a static display the rest of the time. I have seen a couple of posts, but not many in the how to.

Can anyone give some recommendations about different and easy ways to do this? It is crunch time as I just got the display up and working this weekend, and have atleast 5 songs to do.

thanks

Kip

From a Laptop... I will try what you suggest above this weekend and let you know. I'm also looking at the Zara Radio option.

thanks

Kip

That would be the absolute easiest....just have the "lights on" by creating a LAS that you schedule to run continuously during the gaps of your musical sequences....you can schedule Zara to come on and off during those exact same times as well...Ive also seen people create a very simple all on sequence that is the exact length of time you need....then really all you are doing is adding that sequence to your schedule as opposed to having a shorter one loop.

I use Zara to run a 24/7 radio station whenever the show is not running....it cuts off 15 secs before the show starts and comes on 3 mins after the last show of the night....I have about 500 ripped Xmas songs on the hard rive that Zara randomly runs through....I use radio bumpers and time/temp bumpers from Kevin(demented elf) that promote the display and give it a "real' radio station sound...

My neighborhood really looks forward to having their own personal holiday radio station!

My neighborhood really looks forward to having their own personal holiday radio station!

I have actually had requests for specific songs.

Edited by MikeA