Light-O-Rama Forums

How to hang lights on flat stucco roof

Mateo

I live in New Mexico, where most of the roofs are flat, stucco roofs.  I'm hanging a line of c9, icicle lights and a line of strobe lights across the roof line.  How do you all hang lights on a roof line made of stucco?  I'd like to get the lights as straight as possible.   Thanks for any help.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't get a visual in my head of how your roofline is..perhaps a picture would give us some ideas....living in Indiana, flat roofs are rather rare here-lol

However, I'm thinking maybe using some plastic gutter clips, and some hi-strength clear epoxy adhesive?  Just a thought

Edited by olduffer

Well, you really can't "hang" light on a flat roof.  However, I saw a picture last year where someone took PVC and using a table saw he slotted it down the length one side to fit the socket body. (looked like about a 3/8" slot or so).   Then he slid the lights down the slot and spaced them out evenly.  You could do that and put T's at each end with some short lengths of PVC in between each slotted pipe.  This would give you perfect spacing, straight bulbs, and they would hold each other up since there would be several rows. 

I have no idea where the link is or even if those pics are still available, but I remembered it so I could do it.. I just never did it..

What I do is I take a piece of 1x2 piece of wood, buy paint to match as closely to the stucco color as possible, paint it, add the lights to that. To attach it to the roof I usually just use 3M Double stick stips, the foam type. They hold pretty well if you attach them when its dry, and they pull off easily without any residue. I use this on my stucco walls and its works perfect.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm getting up on the roof today and I'll see what I come up with.  I'll shoot some pictures, once I'm done. 

Where are you at? I'm in Las Cruces. I also have a flat roof and stucco. I attach lights to some aluminum molding and then hang it off the edge of the house. I use lightweight chain attached to the molding and then up on the roof I attach the other end to a 4x4.

• Like 1

I had a flat roof in Los Alamos (many years ago).  I used those little square zip ties holders, used to route wires in electronic chassis.  They have double sticky tape on one side and you stick the zip tie through the other side.  The problem is making the tape stick to stucco.  I just used construction adhesive to glue them to the top of the parapet. They are low profile so you can't see them from the street.

• Like 1

I have a stucco home in Arizona but with tile roof. Like jsholla I use square zip tie holders around my windows. Put a little silicone on the back of the holders then stick them on the stucco. Let it dry for a day or two. You can paint the holder to match your house so it can stay on all year. Barely noticeable. Good luck.

• Like 1