Light-O-Rama Forums

Cascading Stars or Snowflakes input

captainron19

So was looking to make a cascading snowflake setup (or stars) to come down from my roof to ground level on side of house to incorporate into my sequencing. Looking to kind of do something similiar that Holdman had on his house.

Anyone ever build something like this and how did you accomplish it. ?

Kind of looking to do something similiar to the attached graphic

post-3564-0-31348900-1380248187_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

IF... somewhat like "BUT",,,,, IF, (and only if), If you have some electronics experience,  I could direct you to using a "Custom run sequencer", using a decade counter and some small triacs.

If you do NOT feel so inclined, then you would have to run the cascade on a LOR controller (or at least the better part of one).

let me know if you are interested.

Greg

I did something kinda like it for our left-most trail...

DSCF1278.JPG

Just made a frame out of 2"x3", painted it black, and attached it to the railing on our deck.

Pretty neat because it looks like the upper flakes are floating...

DSCF1253.JPG

IF... somewhat like "BUT",,,,, IF, (and only if), If you have some electronics experience,  I could direct you to using a "Custom run sequencer", using a decade counter and some small triacs.

If you do NOT feel so inclined, then you would have to run the cascade on a LOR controller (or at least the better part of one).

let me know if you are interested.

Greg

I plan on it with an existing 8 channel controller..... that what makes it easy - I already have a large 30" Stars attached to my garage roof cascading down its kind of far away from where I want to put this display so I plan on using a spare 8 channel controller and put it in series with the rest of my controllers and do a quick edit of my sequences by copying and pasting the 8 channels from the existing stars into this one for the future snowflakes

Jeffrey that is exactly what I want to do....... where did you get those snowflakes and how did you fabricate the holding system for them?

I have been wanting to do that for the last two years but the snowflakes were made by a company that no longer existed.  If you find a new supplier for those that won't break the bank, count me in. 

Thanks.  And yeah, the company(which I'm pretty sure was really just a Christmas light guy) had them made with hopes of having chain stores carry them... and that never happened.

http://www.snowflakesinmotion.com/

...was the place and they have been sold out for years which is understandable with the $65 per case price. 

The frame is just a simple frame made out of 2"x3" lumber.  I can take a picture of it later this week if you need... but it's not really much to write home about. :)  I'm getting all our wooden frames out now to give them a quick sanding and painting before setup begins in early November here.

As far as attaching the snowflakes, these have a single mounting hole in the middle so one screw per snowflake and that's that.  It's too bad these didn't take off for the original seller because they are PERFECT for this type of thing.

Edited by Jeffrey

Thanks.  And yeah, the company(which I'm pretty sure was really just a Christmas light guy) had them made with hopes of having chain stores carry them... and that never happened.

http://www.snowflakesinmotion.com/

...was the place and they have been sold out for years which is understandable with the $65 per case price. 

The frame is just a simple frame made out of 2"x3" lumber.  I can take a picture of it later this week if you need... but it's not really much to write home about. :)  I'm getting all our wooden frames out now to give them a quick sanding and painting before setup begins in early November here.

As far as attaching the snowflakes, these have a single mounting hole in the middle so one screw per snowflake and that's that.  It's too bad these didn't take off for the original seller because they are PERFECT for this type of thing.

Sure if you have any pictures that would be great