Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT-2 Wire

slipperyclam

Being new to this I have my shows all programed minus  some tweaking. I jumped in with 48 channels right a way. So now I need to get power to all my lights and my concern is that living in Wisconsin and the snow we get how will the SPT wire with clip ends work being buried in snow?

It shouldn't be a problem. 

Make sure you plug your controllers into GFCI outlets, and keep the connections up off the ground.  I just got some light stakes and use these to keep mine up off the ground.  I've never had any trouble with them, even when they were covered with snow, or during a heavy rain.

Do not attempt to seal your connections.  What usually happens is water manages to find a way in, but can't get back out.

Jerry

• Like 1

I do the same as Jerry.   Been working for me for years in rainy {no snow here} Florida.  Also works if you have sprinkler systems, just keep the female ends POINTING DOWN so they can drain if water does happen to get inside. 

However, I do CAP all pass through {female side} plugs and female ends with Child Protective Outlet Covers.   These have also kept my female outlets both clean and dry.  Before I started using them over 3 years ago, I found dirt and debris inside the female outlets.  

Do not use electrical tape or any type of tape to cover any connections, they should be in the stake off the ground, but any open female pass-through plugs or female ends on a light strand can be plugged with the plastic child proof electrical outlet caps, making them even more weatherproof. 

They look like a flat male plastic plug and just insert snugly into the female plugs.  I also paint the backs of mine flat black as they are a white plastic and very fluorescent when light hits them, so this helps keep them inconspicuous.

These are the ones I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Outlet-Safety-Covers-Clear/16561524

BTW: The review on the page url I gave above is one I posted there as well.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

thanks I think I will order some wire and ends and try it out this year

I live in Buffalo Ny and we get plenty of snow. I use SPT-1 wire. I've read that the SPT-2 because it's a thicker insulation, can crack if you have to move it while it's cold out side. If you get the -2 then be extra careful handling it while cold.

As for water/snow there shouldn't be any issues. GFCI is a must for the controllers, and keeping the female ends pointed down is just plane smart.

I have a question ( please note: I'm not that electrical savvy). I have already purchased spt 1 wire and think I can handle hooking them up and stuff, but it see everyone is talking plugging the controllers into GFCI outlets, but wouldn't they be tripping as soon as something gets wet? I had lights plugged into them last year and they tripped as soon as it started raining or snowing ( also last year I had a static display- 1st light show this year). I spent more time resetting those damn things then I had my father in law take them out.

I have a question ( please note: I'm not that electrical savvy). I have already purchased spt 1 wire and think I can handle hooking them up and stuff, but it see everyone is talking plugging the controllers into GFCI outlets, but wouldn't they be tripping as soon as something gets wet? I had lights plugged into them last year and they tripped as soon as it started raining or snowing ( also last year I had a static display- 1st light show this year). I spent more time resetting those damn things then I had my father in law take them out.

Let me say first of all, that I am not an electrician either, however, I try to listen to others.

My understanding is that GFCI outlets are required by code for any outdoor outlets.  A GFCI basically measures the amount of electricity going out on the hot side and compares it to how much is coming back on the neutral.  It trips if these two values are not very close.  (This is the explanation I have seen posted here by others and I believe it.)   The point of a GFCI is protect anyone who inadvertantly comes in contact with the hot side of the circuit and becomes grounded at the same time.  (Without a GFCI, this could kill you).

Even GFCI outlets sometimes are difficult due to unwanted trips, it is much safer to have them there.

By keeping your plugs off the ground you can minimize the amount of GFCI trips.  I beleive Orville uses child outlet caps to protect his female connections.  He seems to have had some success with it.  See his post above.

For your safety and the safety of others, I highly recommend that you put those GFCI outlets back in.  Instead try to find out what is causing them to trip and correct the problem.

Just my .02

Jerry 

For your safety and the safety of others, I highly recommend that you put those GFCI outlets back in.  Instead try to find out what is causing them to trip and correct the problem.

Just my .02

Jerry 

I agree with Jerry.

Do not use electrical tape or any type of tape to cover any connections, they should be in the stake off the ground, but any open female pass-through plugs or female ends on a light strand can be plugged with the plastic child proof electrical outlet caps, making them even more weatherproof. 

What is the problem with using electrical tape to cover any connections?  I've done that for years and have had no issues (in buried snow in CO).  And you can get it in black, so no additional painting.  And it's cheaper, faster, and easier to store.  What am I missing?

What is the problem with using electrical tape to cover any connections?  I've done that for years and have had no issues (in buried snow in CO).  And you can get it in black, so no additional painting.  And it's cheaper, faster, and easier to store.  What am I missing?

What you are missing is that does little to really keep moisture out...but it does a really good job of keeping it in...

I agree GFI's are a must and are code in my area and I think in all areas. I taped my connections once on my static displays and the GFI's kept tripping. Never had a problem with them untapped

Ummm, been thinking here......I do remember last year I was using old light sets that didn't work as extension cords and they had missing bulbs too. That could've been the main problem. I know I asked recently about if people do their shows in the rain/snow and just concerned that it would be tripping very 2 minutes

you should have gfi's on your outlets and as long as your plugs are off the ground you should be fine. 

as long as ur exposed female plugs aren't turned up u should be good.   as far as I know rain and snow doesn't fall up.

as far as the old sets as extension cords that's fine but a broken bulb is definitely anger waiting to happen.

just a helpful hint with ur spt wire, be sure to mark your cords in some way and it will save u so much time when you set-up every year.

you can either number them and keep a notebook with what goes where or you could use the color code method.

some guys use colored tape to know how long each cord is.   for example  blue is 3ft  orange is 5ft  yellow is 10ft  and so on.

I number mine and it makes it easier to say connect the arches or the posts.   it also helps if u have a spt cord with say 3 or 4 females that

connect several things together.  it's so much easier to look at the book then to try to remember what u did last year.   I have enough trouble

with last week much less last year. 

hope it helps

good luck

For what it,s worth from a new guy...I had trouble with GFI,s myself...Then I discovered that there is a indoor and a outdoor version...Outdoor version is a bit more expensive...But it has solved all my tripping issues..

• Like 1

you should have gfi's on your outlets and as long as your plugs are off the ground you should be fine. 

as long as ur exposed female plugs aren't turned up u should be good.   as far as I know rain and snow doesn't fall up.

as far as the old sets as extension cords that's fine but a broken bulb is definitely anger waiting to happen.

just a helpful hint with ur spt wire, be sure to mark your cords in some way and it will save u so much time when you set-up every year.

you can either number them and keep a notebook with what goes where or you could use the color code method.

some guys use colored tape to know how long each cord is.   for example  blue is 3ft  orange is 5ft  yellow is 10ft  and so on.

I number mine and it makes it easier to say connect the arches or the posts.   it also helps if u have a spt cord with say 3 or 4 females that

connect several things together.  it's so much easier to look at the book then to try to remember what u did last year.   I have enough trouble

with last week much less last year. 

hope it helps

good luck

Adding to Kelly's last tip about marking your cords...here is an even better idea....considering that I custom make all cords to each element that literally are the exact length they need to be...when you are tearing your display down, take your time....bag and tag everything.....

I literally have a huge baggie or container for each channel....if that is Channel 100, and it consists of several net lights on a single bush and has a custom cut power cord that runs to it...guess what....everything goes...lights, cords, any special connectors, etc...into its own labeled 20 gallon zip lock bag  (you can find them everywhere, but here is an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-Zipper-XX-Large-3-Count/dp/B003U6FMOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381778259&sr=8-1&keywords=xxl+ziplock+bags)

It takes a little extra time the first time you have to "bag and tag" everything and granted tear down generally takes a little longer than setup...but every minute you invest in January saves you at least 10 minutes come November!

Just imagine how easy it is when it is time to setup...you literally have a self contained bag of "stuff" that you clearly know goes over by "that bush"...you can literally unpack and know that you have everything ready for that one element...

Then again I am kinda OCD, but I say God bless to anyone who just has a barrel full of cords and has to go hunting for one that kinda works for the distance and type of element I am setting up that second...no thanks....I will take my organized solution over that mess any day!

• Like 1

For what it,s worth from a new guy...I had trouble with GFI,s myself...Then I discovered that there is a indoor and a outdoor version...Outdoor version is a bit more expensive...But it has solved all my tripping issues..

I'm gonna look into that! That could be the problem too!

Searched for a while but didn't see anything that said there are different GFCI outlets. But another question I have for everyone -- is it a fire hazard wrapping your end to end connections/lights to extension cord in plastic to help keep it dry??.

Searched for a while but didn't see anything that said there are different GFCI outlets. But another question I have for everyone -- is it a fire hazard wrapping your end to end connections/lights to extension cord in plastic to help keep it dry??.

Again MJ...its not about keeping the water from getting in as much as it is about "letting it out"...

The best you can do is elevate(this is the best thing for snow) or shield your plugs/connections so that they are never sitting in standing water....as well as use GFCI so that your yard doesnt become one big electric fence waiting to happen...

Beyond that, taping or wrapping your connections only does a really good job of not letting moisture OUT...they need to breath and allow for even condensation to evaporate...this is even true for "hard" boxes that people put power supplies and connections in...they will accumulate moisture...and should have a means for venting....

Oh and if its a hurricane...just turn off the display!  :-)

Sometimes the GFCI tripping is not preventable.  I live in a very rainy town here in Hawaii, we get over 120 inches of rain a year, about 12 inches of rain in the month of December.  Having a photovoltaic system on my roof (the roof is now grounded), my lights installed on the roof will trip the GFCI.

Also, the lights on my mega tree also trip it's GFCI as well.  The same goes for my two fireworks.