Light-O-Rama Forums

Driveway arches - materials list and tips?

Klayfish

From my design plans, I'm going to have a fairly decent number of lights left over that I need to find something to do with.  They're going to be white C7 LED.  They're going to be static, because all my channels are used up.  One thing I thought might add some cool effects for my guests would be driveway arches (to see my display, people have to come up my driveway...there's no on street parking).  I've never made arches before.  I'd assume a driveway arch has to be fairly large to leave enough clearance for cars/trucks.  I can't imagine they're all that complicated to build.  Can someone give me a "shopping list" and suggestions/tips on how to make it?

I used Sch40 PVC 3/4", connected 3 - 10' sections together to span my driveway. I wrapped them in C6 red and white strands so I used two channels per arch.  Of course, had to cable them down to ground as well as cabled them at the peak of each arch.  Worked pretty well - 3 last year and adding a 4th this year. Next year, I would like to use RGB lights on them and need to decide if I use rope or bulbs on them. TBD.

Thanks Ron.  That second link looks fairly doable...though it says glue the sections together?  Wouldn't I use couplings?

rjmcmasters,

How did you cable them at the peak of the arch?  Obviously, you can't have the cable come straight down since cars will be driving under it.  Did you run the cable from the peak to the side?  If so, did you have trouble with cars being able to clear under?

Sorry, I was not clear. I cabled them to each other at the top and also cabled each side to the ground. So the cable in the middle was just from arch 1 to arch 2 and arch 2 to arch 3. It worked ok and kept them mostly from swaying too much.