Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproofing indoor jack-o-lanterns?

lowepg

I bought a bunch of these cheap at Walmart the other day and want to incorporate into my display.

I'll be running homemade SPT-2 cords to them, but Im wondering about weather-proofing them a bit?

Here's a picture of the back- its really just a C7 lamp socket stuck in a hole in the back of the pumpkin.

Anyone got a cheap and dirty way to make these more outdoor-friendly?

9899633403_d2ed7bc00e_z.jpg

What I did was replace the bulb with an LED bulb and then fill in around the hole with silicone, so the indention around the light is even with the surface of the pumpkin.

What I did was replace the bulb with an LED bulb and then fill in around the hole with silicone, so the indention around the light is even with the surface of the pumpkin.

Guess that would make it pretty permanent- but with the LED bulb- probably not an issue...

I did order a bunch of orange .96W led C7 bulbs to swap out- so that might work well.

No worries about the plug connection?

I use those too.  What I do is take a tube of super glue and put a drop of glue over the exposed end of the SPT wire that comes out of the other side of the socket, this seals the wires from water. Don't get it on the socket or you'll have some real difficulty taking the socket apart and repairing it if it ever goes bad!  And I've had sockets go bad after a few years outdoors.

Oh and also do this, drill some DRAIN holes in the bottom of the pumpkins!   This way when water enters through the openings {eyes, nose and mouth} the water will not pool inside the pumpkin.  I did this because I modified 2 battery operated pre-made J-O-L's for 120VAC 7W incans that are bottom mounted, I have 3 to 5 holes drilled in the bottom of these pumpkins and never an issue with rain or sprinkler systems as the water drains out, keeping the socket and bulb from shorting.   And a GFCI also would be recommended when using these outdoors.

And I use standard Orange incandescent bulbs in mine.  I even have some battery operated ones I converted to AC power and a C7 bulb, sealed the battery area and even though the bulb comes up from the bottom of the pumpkin, been using them for 3 years and never had any issues with them.

I would never seal the socket, just in case the socket failed, bulb needed to be replaced, and even though LED bulbs are great, they still BURN OUT and need replacing at some point!  I've bought standard LED lamp bulbs for my home and within a year, I've had to replace many of them.     LED's may be great, but they do not last forever, despite what some may think and depending on their use.

Anyway, that's how I do it with mine and I have 5 Jack O' Lanterns I use every year in my display, 2 very small, 2 medium and 1 large one.   And I've never had any issues using them outside.

Hmm.  I've used those identical pumpkins in my shows for the last three years and haven't had any issues with water.  You could seal the lights with silicone but I think that would be overkill...

Most, if not all of the blow molds are open to the weather with no issues.  As mentioned above, be sure to add drain holes & use GFCI outlets.  I've been using various pumpkins like this one for for more years than I can count, with ZERO issues.  Put them out, enjoy the holiday & most important... Relax.

Cord plugs don't have to be water tight either... as long as you don't plan to leave them in a puddle of water.  Don't over-engineer what already works.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

Most, if not all of the blow molds are open to the weather with no issues.  As mentioned above, be sure to add drain holes & use GFCI outlets.  I've been using various pumpkins like this one for for more years than I can count, with ZERO issues.  Put them out, enjoy the holiday & most important... Relax.

Cord plugs don't have to be water tight either... as long as you don't plan to leave them in a puddle of water.  Don't over-engineer what already works.

Well, to be honest, this was the answer i was looking for :-)

Whats the worst case? a burned out lamp socket?

RE'; GFCI outlets-

These are all plugging into LOR 16-channel controllers though... so where would the fail point be?

Or are you saying make sure the main power to the controller boxes runs back through a gfci?

Yes, by all means, plug your controllers in to GFCI.

IMHO, it is dangerous if you do not use GFCI outlets for your display.

Jerry

Yes, by all means, plug your controllers in to GFCI.

IMHO, it is dangerous if you do not use GFCI outlets for your display.

Jerry

I absolutely agree with Jerry on this one.  Every AC powered controller should be plugged into a GFCI outlet, it protects not only your guests, but yourself as well.   I recall in the old days when these things weren't really around and if you had a short, forgot to shut off the switch to the power, well, you got a nice jolt. 

The GFCI, if something happens usually trips the GFCI and cuts power to everything it's connected too.    Much safer for everyone involved.  Definitely a necessity to any animated display using AC power.    The DC folks may not have to worry so much about this as they are using low power, i.e. 12VDC as opposed to 120VAC and a higher amp rating of AC controllers and lights.

I've had the exact same ones out for 3 years with the same bulbs (except replacing when they burnt out which has been once). I haven't done anything with them except put electrical tape on the back where the socket is

Hmm.  I've used those identical pumpkins in my shows for the last three years and haven't had any issues with water.

I also have one of these same pumpkins. (4 total, all different.) I leave it out in the rain without any modification. I've never had a problem.