Light-O-Rama Forums

Light question

DDyess

There are several, but you will need some sort of controller to do it. Maybe with a bit more info we might be able to suggest something(s) to try.    What are you trying to accomplish/avoid?

If you are looking for "dumb" lights....there are several options of lights that will cycle through a preset number of colors out there....but they usually have some limitations (i.e. they are not dimmable/you cant do effects with them per se other than 100% on or off)....

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tNl9GgglRc

I have dabbled with using some of these in years past for static elements more as an accent (candy cane fence post header accents for example)....

In LOR you would simply have a channel that turns them on or off...but that would be about it...

Edited by etherealone

I have been told by others that if I were to take my 3 strings of red, green, and blue 5mm LED bulbs and wire-tie each set of 3 bulbs together, that I would be able to mix the colors like an RGB strip. I still haven't decided if I want to give that a try.

I have been told by others that if I were to take my 3 strings of red, green, and blue 5mm LED bulbs and wire-tie each set of 3 bulbs together, that I would be able to mix the colors like an RGB strip. I still haven't decided if I want to give that a try.

Not so much.  Mixing would be not so good.. you would see the individual colors.  The reason you get color mixing with the strips is because the 3 LED dies are in the same very close proximity to each other. 

I purchased some RGB lights (or RGB like) from EBay, only thing is they are not string to string and have their own dedicated controller (8 modes that twinkle, fad, steady, slow fade etc.). They don't remember the last setting you had it on and it seems through my practice video below that they are controlled at times by the LOR controller and not controlled at the same time. I don't know much about it to have a concrete answer.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried to use  color changing lights WAL-MART  that are 4 color led that are controled by a remote control...with color changing functions..blue-- green-- red  clear  with chasing functions.  ir if anyone has tried to hook more that on string together and is controlled by just one controller.. The ones i have are 20 bulb C-12  led's  Boxed under the brand name...HOLIDAY Time and sold by Wal_Mart  any help and  tips would be deeply appreciated.... im trying to use them in my display and set to music..with my LOR  controller

a first year newbeeeeee

has anyone tried to use  color changing lights WAL-MART  that are 4 color led that are controled by a remote control...with color changing functions..blue-- green-- red  clear  with chasing functions.  ir if anyone has tried to hook more that on string together and is controlled by just one controller.. The ones i have are 20 bulb C-12  led's  Boxed under the brand name...HOLIDAY Time and sold by Wal_Mart  any help and  tips would be deeply appreciated.... im trying to use them in my display and set to music..with my LOR  controller

a first year newbeeeeee

Generally speaking, you couldn't do anything more than plug them into a channel on a controller and go with on/off.