Light-O-Rama Forums

How long must I chew extension leads before LOR is back in stock?

Guest guest

As you can maybe tell, I'm waiting for LOR boards to come back into to stock.. I so want to start playing!!! I've seen Jan/Feb posted around but thats been a while since that was posted... Any ideas Dan or someone on a better date?

Thanks
Adam

I was able to do a lot of planning ... without the boards in stock ...

And of course, once I got them, I used them all of 20 minutes before putting them back up for 7 months.

I'm just saying ... you don't _need_ them to start planning. Though I completely understand the feeling.

Insane wrote:

As you can maybe tell, I'm waiting for LOR boards to come back into to stock.. I'm so want to start playing!!! I've seen Jan/Feb posted around but thats been a while since that was posted... Any ideas Dan or someone on a better date?

Thanks
Adam

Adam,

I never heard back from you on the LOR boards. I still have all of the 8 channel cards.

Jeff

Hi,

We will have boards back in stock somewhere between the end of Jan and the middle of Feb. We will start selling them as they become avialable. Different cards will come before the others. The Hobbyist will start selling first then Showtime.

We still have some orders that were placed before we took off the "Buy" buttons in the store and we will fill those orders first....

Brad Caudill wrote:

You really don't need the LOR boards now. Spend your time making sequences and so on and when the boards are in stock you will be ready to go.

I know newbies are chomping at the bit, but I've done 99.5% of our sequences without ever looking at the lights or having any controllers connected. If you're excited to jump into LOR then start sequencing now. Don't worry about the hardware. I don't even pull mine out until it's time to plug the lights in outside.

-Tim

You really don't need the LOR boards now. Spend your time making sequences and so on and when the boards are in stock you will be ready to go.

2006 will be my first official year with computerized christmas lighting. I bought my first LOR controller in November. and even I would agree there is much you can do in the house with the box anyways.. And your neighbors may think your a little more crazy sitting in the front yard making you lights blink while programming. (Its going to be bad enough when they see the traffic and all the lights)

Yep I know I can do alot without them, and infact have started my sequences.. I just umm want them now hhaha

What else I want it for too, is to do some testing on some low voltage transformers.. I currently run one big transformer for my whole display but figured after some reading on here that trying to have LOR control the standard transformers might be worth a shot. I'm going to switch a transformer on and off rapidly for a few hours and see if I can make it fail :) I would prefer to run the whole lot of the one transformer but don't wish to "split" to many 16 channel boards... So off a testing I will go :P

That and the fact I was going to make a "mini" mega tree out in the backyard to see some of the different effects ect and play around... I intend just to buy one of the hobbiest boards when they are in stock and the rest later in the year...

And Jeff,
Sorry mate, I thought I replied! I am after 16 channel boards (I want atleast 5 x 16 channel boards for this, my first year) and yer sorry am not really interested in the 8 channel. Thanks though :)

Insane wrote:

And Jeff,
Sorry mate, I thought I replied! I am after 16 channel boards (I want atleast 5 x 16 channel boards for this, my first year) and yer sorry am not really interested in the 8 channel. Thanks though :P

Cool, just didn't want to leave you hanging. Remember to order yours as soon as possible in April to get them in plenty of time for Christmas! Ordering 5, if you can afford it, is the best way, unless of course if you can order 10 and get more of a discount!

Jeff

I'm new to LOR and have downloaded the demo version of the software so I can start "playing" while I save my pennies to buy the full version. But I don't understand how you can see your animation sequence affects without having the lights plugged into the controllers? Can you walk me through how you do this?

A higher level question would be, is there some sort of documentation or user's manual for the software that I can read? I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of the features.

mcnamara9 wrote:

I'm new to LOR and have downloaded the demo version of the software so I can start "playing" while I save my pennies to buy the full version. But I don't understand how you can see your animation sequence affects without having the lights plugged into the controllers? Can you walk me through how you do this?

A higher level question would be, is there some sort of documentation or user's manual for the software that I can read? I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of the features.

There is a help file with LOR, though I don't know if it comes with the demo. You can download it from my LOR FAQ site, if you wish.

As for seeing the animation ... there is an animation view that you can utilize to see your sequences. You draw in your display on the screen and run the lights from there. Look in the "View" section to turn it on. If you want to see a good example of the animation view, download Carson Williams Wizards in Winter sequence file from http://www.wonderlandchristmas.com/wizardsofwinter.php

mcnamara9 wrote:

Yes, there is a full help file with the demo version of the software. Basically you just right click on a channel, choose "change color" and then click on "View" and select "animation". When that screen appears fill in the dot "Draw" then click on the little arrow and choose the "Channel" that you just chose a color for. Then just left click on the grid and make a pattern or your house layout. Make a couple of blocks or fades in the main "Programming Grid" and click play and watch and learn and have fun..