Light-O-Rama Forums

Nativity display questions

jpohio

I looked for any threads that might deal with the questions I have regarding a nativity scene, but didn't find anything so here is my questions... this year I plan on having a nativity scene (my 1st one) and I was wondering... do you animate the nativity or just have it be static? Also, if you have a nativity in your display, do you place the nativity somewhere off by itself or mix it right in with the rest of your display?

Right now, my thoughts were to have my nativity right in the middle of my display, but I keep 2nd guessing that thought.. wondering if that is a good move?

I have had a nativity scene since I started (2006), it is made up of hand painted pieces (my wife painted them all). Here is the video of the song that has the nativity in it.

https://vimeo.com/62399407

I place my nativity to one side of the yard because it is only used for the one song. 

Think about what you intend to do with the nativity - will it be the main item of your show? will you use it in every song? 

For me I don't think the nativity should be used with every song, its not appropriate, but that is just how I feel about it.

Craig

Edited by craigh
  • Like 2

Personally, my nativity is it's own separate animated display.  I had complaints by family members that my light display was too secular and didn't share the message of Christmas.  So to counteract all the haters, and to keep from killing the flow of my show by having slow Christmas carols in the middle of it, I created a separate area for the nativity.  It is 16 channels, one three channel star, a shaft of light from the star that's animated by a 3 channel chaser that use to be a part of an old string of "Motion lights"  (No fading, that one's all or nothing)  Then there is Baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, 3 wise men (one channel), three shepherds each on one channel, three angels, each on one channel, a donkey, and a sheep.  That should be all 16 channels.

That way, if people want to watch a show with slow lyric heavy Christmas carols, there is that option.  If they want to see a rock star show with great music, but so so lyrics then they can just go back down the sidewalk to the main show. 

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

Up until last year, I had my nativity in the center of my yard; however, I was only using Mr. Christmas Lights and Sounds so not any real programming. I like having It in the center of display since that is the reason we celebrate Christmas.  Last year was my first year with LOR and sequencing songs and I did not have enough channels to operate the Nativity. So I moved it to one side and it came on and stayed on for the evening.  Worked fine. This year, I will be moving it back to the center of yard and have enough channels to have it come on and off - no flashy lights, just on or off.  Next year, I plan to incorporate more channels, possibly shooting star and some other songs that will highlight the nativity.

On my Nativity i have it on the right side of my display ,and it is animated by LOR using 8 channels, also look at LOR 's The Sequence Store and check out  the sequence The greatest story ever told this will make your Nativity really special. Also forgot to mention my Nativity is only active during slow Religious songs only and at no other times during my show. 

Edited by Godney

Actually I was thinking of having all the nativity pieces all on one channel (small low wattage bulbs) and just turn it on from time to time. I didn't intend for the nativity to be the focal point of my display, but placing it dead center of my display and not having it on for most of my songs might look funny, not to mention a dead spot right in the middle. Hmm... time to rethink/revamp my layout.  

I really appreciate everyone's responses... and Craig thank you for sharing your video, it was really nice and I like the way you did it!!

I have my nativity in it's own area but right in front of the yard it's not animated..... only 2 candles and a star around it are animated I did it this way to draw attention to the nativity scene

My nativity blowmolds will be lit and I plan on lighting the inside ceiling of my stable, just to give it a little more light. I will also have 4 blowmold candles, two on each side, but they will be animated. The nativity pieces I don't plan on animating, they would just be static.