Light-O-Rama Forums

guy wires

overeazy

Was just wondering what size guy wires everyone uses for their spiral trees and mega trees.  I have always used 1/4" steel cable for the mega tree but was thinking for a spiral tree this year it might be overkill and maybe can get away with using 1/8".  What does everyone use in their display and best place to purchase it and the cable tightners.

thanks

Duane

I guess it would depend on what size mega tree, how many strands and what kind of weather you have during the season. The more strands and height you have, the more of a sail effect that catches the wind.

I use 3/16" but I have a 33' mega tree with 196 strands and live in Oklahoma where strong winds from storms or blizzards are possible and have happened.

All my supplies I get locally at hardware stores. The turnbuckles I get at Tractor Supply because they carry the bigger heavy duty stuff.

Like Santas Helper said, Depends on the conditions where you are at.  I'm in San Diego so the weather is pretty calm.

This year my Mega Tree will be 26ft and I will be using 4 1/8" guy wires with turnbuckles.  I will only have 24 light strings.