Light-O-Rama Forums

First LOR show today - Receiver/Speaker problems

zooo

Set up for halloween today. The LOR equipment worked great and I kept adding lights while the show played. I noticed that my right speaker suddenly had a very low volume. I checked the connections and figured I would mess with it later. Later came, and the left speaker started hesitating and then the volume went very low as well. Before long, they both quit working all together.

Today was the first day using the Dual LU43PB speakers that I purchased from Amazon. I listened to the radio all day as I set up Halloween and they sounded great. Also the first day using my Insignia NS-R2001 receiver that I also purchased from Amazon. 

I thought the LOR equipment would give me some headaches, but that part went great. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Does it sound like a speaker or receiver problem? I had the speaker protected inside of a wooden box.

A little more info is needed, like, how are the speakers hooked up?, how is the receiver hooked up?, how are you running the sequences, from the computer or a director?

The receiver is just plugged in and the speakers are hooked up via speaker wire, ran directly from the receiver to the speakers. Nothing too tricky. Sequences are ran from my computer, but that shouldn't be an issue as the speakers and receiver are stand-alone from the LOR stuff. The receiver and speakers do not play from a regular radio station either. All is good while listening to the show from a radio.

Just tested the speakers again this morning. They barely work. The volume is very low and the quality is very scratchy. Do speakers "blow out" easily? I had them inside of a wooden box that I made specifically for this size of speaker and they ran fine for several hours at a moderately high volume. Granted, they are cheap $30 speakers, but I haven't heard of others having this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like it could be the receiver or speakers.  Do you have another speaker to try? Also, verify your speaker wires are not shorted in anyway.  A little strand can cause problems/

Computer is not connected to the receiver. Computer is connected to a FM transmitter and my receiver is set to the FM transmitter station

i have a similar setup, I use a splitter out of the computer.  split a goes to the transmitter and split b goes to the receiver auxiliary in (CD in my case).  I run speaker wires out the back (monster cable all copper).  The thing I have learned with speakers and speaker wires is the cable MUST BE the same length.  I would also check your connections because the problem sounds more like a loose wire.  also check the balance.  depending on what transmitter you are using there also might be electrical interference if you have them too close as well as issues with the fm antenna on the receiver.   you can also switch the speakers around and see if the problem follows the speaker.

Not an interference issue. I moved the FM transmitter away from the receiver and the problem with very low volume on the speakers is persisting. What's odd is that it worked great for about 6 hours. My speaker wire is 16 AWG and both are the same length (50 ft).

Why do you need to run audio from the computer to the receiver auxiliary? Doesn't the audio just go to the speakers by setting receiver radio station to the designated radio station from the transmitter? 

Think I will go look for a cheap set of speakers to narrow down the problem.

Went to radio shack and bought some Auvio 3-way indoor/outdoor speakers for $40 and I'm back up and running. Guess the problem was with the Dual speakers - just surprised they would both go out on day 1. We'll see if these Auvios hold up or if I have some other problem. Thanks for the replies - they offered several troubleshooting steps that I hadn't thought of.

Not an interference issue. I moved the FM transmitter away from the receiver and the problem with very low volume on the speakers is persisting. What's odd is that it worked great for about 6 hours. My speaker wire is 16 AWG and both are the same length (50 ft).

Why do you need to run audio from the computer to the receiver auxiliary? Doesn't the audio just go to the speakers by setting receiver radio station to the designated radio station from the transmitter? 

Think I will go look for a cheap set of speakers to narrow down the problem.

I have always thought that running straight to the auxiliary is cleaner, no science to support my theory just have always done it that way. 

I tried running to my cd aux and sound only came out of one speaker???

speaker issue would be my ruling, I am kinda anal so I not only have backups but my backups have backups.  Have 4 pair of my outdoor speakers even though I only use two.

I agree with Caniac.  I prefer to input directly to the receiver.  When you tried this, was it with your first/faulty set of speakers?  You may want to check your input cable to the CD/Aux.  Use say an Ipod to see if you if both channels are working.  Do you have any other inputs to the receiver?

Figured out the problem with sound only coming from one speaker (with new replacement speakers) when using the CD/Aux. My cable has a red, yellow and white lead so I naturally put the red to red, and the white to white. That's when I only had sound from on speaker. When I went white to white and yellow lead to red input I got sound out of both speakers. Who would've thunk.