Light-O-Rama Forums

spots

bizket666

what ARE THE BRIGHT SPOT LIGHTS THAT PEOPLE USE ON THERE HOUSES? like on the Halloween house? I have bought some 10w led spot lights but there seems to be a split second delay between switching them on and them coming on?

Here's a video of my house last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ2h296MXvs

The main house was lit using DMX controlled 36 watt RGB Floods.  I got mine from a vendor who is no longer around but Ray Wu sells something that's almost identical...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/36-1W-DMX512-LED-High-Power-Wall-Washer-AC90-260V-input/701799_907524450.html

If you want led floods or spots to work right, they must be controlled by DC.  LOR DC controller or DMX controllers are best.  Trying to use them on a AC controller will frustrate you with timing.

LOR DC controllers will work with all types of leds and is the easiest to use.  DMX is cheaper, but has limits.  Figure out what leds you want to work with first, get the required power supply and determine which controller works best for your needs.

If you want lightning, several 20w will do, or a 50w, but a 100w kicks a$$!  I have a combination of all three!  B)  B)  B)

If you want to use a 100w led, it must be carefully placed where it can't possibly shine directly at people, such as up in a tree to light the canopy.  Seriously, you need a welding helmet to look directly at the light, yeah, it's that bright!

Edited by scubado

I wonder about those LED 10W spots. What was you using to power them up. Were you using the DC controller card? And the last thought is that either you were using the AC controller card with some kind of power supply feeding the spot light. In this case it takes a second for the power supply to charge up the filter caps before it can supply an output voltage. If you where using a DC card, then I suspect that there must have been a filter cap in the LED light housing? I would guarantee that if you use a DC card with a power supply attached to the DC card rated for the DC LED Lamp. And the lamp would not have a cap filter installed. Then the LED would turn on faster than a ican lamp (lamp with filament).

Scubado snuck in while I was typing.

Edited by Max-Paul

the spots i have are 240v they a small led driver built  in to drop the power to 10v

i supose i was trying to cut corners as they were £6 each

Check out the 36 watt led flood light from seasonal entertainment its $250.00 but really brite

Holy crap that's expensive!  Only costs me about $20 plus my time to make.

I would eliminate the guts and hook up to a 12v source.  What color is your led?  if it's white, use a 1ohm 1w resistor in series to power.  If it's red, do not hook to 12v directly.

Someone should make these 10w LED RGB Spots in a 12vdc direct version so we don't have to modify them.

Ray Wu does, they use DMX to control.  I believe he has up to 30W RGB floods.

it would be cheapest to buy a 10 watt DC controlled LED on ebay for 14 bucks  http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-AC-DC-10-Watt-Outdoor-LED-Flood-Light-White-6000K-/221277906249?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338530e549

... and then connect each flood to a smaller dc  power supply like this one....   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-3A-5A-10A-15A-20A-30A-Switching-Power-Supply-Driver-For-LED-Strip-/251323683596?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item3a840f130c    Cost would be under 30 bucks a light with power supply and light.  That's about 10 bucks cheaper than seasonal entertainment. 

By the way, I think Seasonal Entertainment is putting WAY too much a markup on that 36w spot.  That identical spot is $100 from Ray Wu.  If you combined shipping with other products, you could probably get it for approx $120 a light.