Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I attach a wire flrame "ssinging face" to my 2nd story window?

lowepg

So I'm mounting/hanging 4 singing faces this year for the first time.

Im wondering about the logistics of  actually mounting the faces?

They will all be places over/in front of existing 2nd story windows.... as a sidenote, ,my house is brick!

Ideas?

A few photos would be AWESOME, or at least some descriptions for a newbie!

Also, Im building my own SPT-1 extension cords to run from the frames to the controller, Im assuming those will help reduce the weight vs traditional heavy outdoor extension cording....

yikes, sorry for the typos- tried to go back and edit but it wouldn't let me....

more info:

they are Wire Frame D'lites frames, about 8-9 pounds each BEFORE I add rope lights... not sure what the final weight will be.

Consider using masonry anchors, drill into the mortar joint to set them. Use a galvanized anchor so it doesn't rust. Yes they'd be permanent, so you'll be able to mount them or other items in the following years.

Note, you'll need a good drill and a masonry bit.

• Like 1

Masonry anchors is what I used on mine although mine were the coroplast version mounted on 2x2 boards.  The one exception from above is that I anchored in the brick, not the mortar joints. Mortar over time can wear and loosen. The screws I used from Lowes had the masonry bit already included.

• 2 weeks later...
Consider using masonry anchors, drill into the mortar joint to set them. Use a galvanized anchor so it doesn't rust. Yes they'd be permanent, so you'll be able to mount them or other items in the following years.Note, you'll need a good drill and a masonry bit.

Anyone willing to share the specific hangers/components they used?

Also, connection point to the wire frames?

I was actually thinking of using a single mounting point (centered above frame) and using heavy wire to create a "triangle" to the frame. I was thinking this would be less drilling AND would make it easier to level....

Thoughts/ suggestions?

I'm not enthused about this part of the project and could use some help ;-)

I mounted mine to the truss which is attach to the fascia board under the eaves. Mine are open and expose the truss. I installed a heavy duty lag screw eyelet to the truss. Then used hooks to connect the top of the frame to the eyelet. Super simple.

Just make sure your frames are built well. If using PVC...like me...don't dry fit together. I didn't want to glue together either so I drilled holes on the corner fitting and use bolt/nuts for connecting together. When hanging the frames like mine...all the weight is pulling on the top of the frame.

Edited by CLD Kevin

I have a stucco house and use wire (rebar) frames around two windows. I don't like drilling holes and trying to use anchors into stucco, so I use small screw hooks screwed into the exposed trusses similar to what Kevin did. Since two of the windows are on the second story and have to use an extension ladder to hang them, I also used metal plummers tape to attach the wire frame to the truss screws. For me it is easier to climb the ladder with the wire frames and  hold on to the ladder and with one hand hook the frames to the screw using the metal tape. If you want, you can paint the metal tape to match the house to camoflauge it better. Since my windows are curved at the top, I run my extension cords behind the eaves and then down to the top of the curve, which is only about a foot, to plug the lights in.

My bottom window has security bars so I attach the lights directly to the bars.

For mounting to brick front, I bought from Lowes "Tapcon concrete anchors" 3/16" x 3 1/4". Comes with drill bit as well. Placed two on each corner at top and two at bottom. I pre-drilled my holes in the wood frame before drilling into brick. I also labeled each tree so I know where each will go. Just add my lights and ready to hang.