Light-O-Rama Forums

Displaying Nativity Blow Mold "Set"

pstigerfan

So I took a shot and posted this over at the Planet Christmas Forums, however, since no one responded, I figured I would probably have a better shot of getting a few answers on here.

So, a little bit of back story, back when I was a kid (probably 10 years ago or so) my Dad was a huge blow mold collector.  We didn't have a lot, maybe about 10-15 or so that we would put out in the yard each Christmas.  What he had done was at the bottom of each blow mold, he had cut a 1x2 piece of wood and glued it, then basically took 2x4 and staked the blow molds into the ground.  Now onto my question....

For two years now I have been thinking about adding a Nativity Scene (of some sort) to my outdoor display.  A few weeks ago, I took a drive up to Bronners in Frankenmuth (the world's largest Christmas store).  Spent over $750 and bought a life-size Nativity - Holy Family is 42" in Height, wisemen are 42-61" Height, etc.  Everything is now being stored in a 10x10 storage unit since I don't have any room at my house to store this stuff.  Don't you love it when you have no space left? The gal at the storage place was laughing as I unloaded box after box of the Holy Family, Wisemen, etc, right off the UPS truck at the storage place.  I told her what my plan was and she was like "Oh, that's cool". LOL....

Anyway, I am looking at building a 2 to 2 1/2 foot tall wooden platform to set my Nativity scene on, with space underneath to run wires and store stuff.  I am wondering what I can do to secure my blow molds to this platform, without ruining the blow molds.  I have read reports of nativity pieces being stolen (my friend had their Nativity stolen three different times).  I'm also going to build a manger set on top of the platform for the Holy Family, along with multiple security cameras all over the front yard.  I'm just wondering what the blow mold "experts" can recommend for security protection.

Thanks for the help, as always!

Paul

Depending on how well you can cobble up circuits. I would string some real thin wire like 24 Ga wire in a grid. One that someone would have to break in order to gain access to the blow molds. This series of wires would create a closed circuit. This would cause a relay to energize. On the contacts, wire horns and lights to the N.C. contacts. These contacts will close when the relay becomes de-energized. Which only happens when the wires are broken due to someone trying to gain access to your Blow Molds. Lights and horns do have a tenancy to scare off bad guys.

• Like 1

Anyway, I am looking at building a 2 to 2 1/2 foot tall wooden platform to set my Nativity scene on, with space underneath to run wires and store stuff.  I am wondering what I can do to secure my blow molds to this platform, without ruining the blow molds.

If there is a access hole in the bottom of these I would cut a inch or two slot out from the circle ( depending on size of your molds ) 1/8" wide or so and then get that measurement from the total width of the slot you cut in from 1 side thru the hole to the other slot side and have somebody cut you out  squares of that dimension out of .125 aluminum and  then mark on the outer corners a place for holes in them ( example 1/2" in from each corner side ) and then drill them to what ever size screw  you  want to hold them down with. I would make an extra plate and drill it with the same pattern. Then hold it aginst the bottom of the mold and drill thru each hole thru the mold. Mark the plate as bottom and mark a hole to line up with, Slide the plate up into the mold thru the slots you cut in and then make sure that the side you had down on the outside of the mold is the same side down inside of the mold. Spin the plate to line up the hole you marked so that all holes are lined up. You may want to try to glue that plate or put a couple of small screws thru it to hold it in place. Then set this mold up on your platform and orient it to the position you want and try to mark it as best as you can. then take the extra plate with the hole pattern in it and position it as close to where you marked it with the mold setting in place and then drill down thru your floor and then get screws and screw up from underneath in to the blow mold and sandwich the plastic bottom between the floor / deck and the aluminum plate.

I have done this with small ones with great success, So hope fully this would work for you.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

Many years ago, I had a problem with wind blowing these over so I built a small frame representing a 4ft high manger using wood 2x4's and exterior screws.  I then took a treated 2X6 measured out to be a crossmember on the bottom of my 4' high barn frame and mounted the Mary and Joseph blow mold from the bottom with 4" screws directly to the 2X6 taking care to drill them in straight so they didnt poke through the front of the mold.  It did make small holes in the undeside of the blowmolds, but they are completely invisible and hold very securely.  The molds were now about 3" off the ground (1.5in for the 2x4's, and 1.5in for the 2X6).    The cross member also allowed me to use wire staples to secure the wiring down.   I also added an AC outdoor quad outlet to the back of the right barn frame and used a 40' extension cord with the femal plug cut off to hardwire directly to the outlet serve as an electrical supply line and allow me to power the display as a stand alone set.  Just for giggles, I also attached a small water tight pencil box to the cross member for spare bulbs, etc. 

The barn frame boards are all labeled and are dissassembled every year for flat compact storage, but the figures remain permanently affixed to the crossmember.    A couple of kids stole our baby Jesus a few years ago but they couldnt do anything with the Mary and Joseph.  When we found a replacement, I used a bolt, nut and fender washers to attach a small white chain betwen the Jesus blowmold and the frame accessing the nut through the light hole, and put him back in the manger.   The cow and donkey sit out a few feet away on a piece of rebar. 

I hope this helps.   I'll send a picture when we break out the display here in a few weeks. 

Many years ago, I had a problem with wind blowing these over so I built a small frame representing a 4ft high manger using wood 2x4's and exterior screws.  I then took a treated 2X6 measured out to be a crossmember on the bottom of my 4' high barn frame and mounted the Mary and Joseph blow mold from the bottom with 4" screws directly to the 2X6 taking care to drill them in straight so they didnt poke through the front of the mold.  It did make small holes in the undeside of the blowmolds, but they are completely invisible and hold very securely.  The molds were now about 3" off the ground (1.5in for the 2x4's, and 1.5in for the 2X6).    The cross member also allowed me to use wire staples to secure the wiring down.   I also added an AC outdoor quad outlet to the back of the right barn frame and used a 40' extension cord with the femal plug cut off to hardwire directly to the outlet serve as an electrical supply line and allow me to power the display as a stand alone set.  Just for giggles, I also attached a small water tight pencil box to the cross member for spare bulbs, etc. 

The barn frame boards are all labeled and are dissassembled every year for flat compact storage, but the figures remain permanently affixed to the crossmember.    A couple of kids stole our baby Jesus a few years ago but they couldnt do anything with the Mary and Joseph.  When we found a replacement, I used a bolt, nut and fender washers to attach a small white chain betwen the Jesus blowmold and the frame accessing the nut through the light hole, and put him back in the manger.   The cow and donkey sit out a few feet away on a piece of rebar. 

I hope this helps.   I'll send a picture when we break out the display here in a few weeks. 

Bizywk, thanks for the insight.  This is exactly what I was thinking about doing, but I was not quite sure how I could accomplish it.  Your details are exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Paul