Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Lights ?

mjdamico23

I previously purchased RGB lights ( 15 sets of 100 ) and each come with a controller on it that makes the lights do up to 8 modes ( I.e slow fade, twinkle, steady, etc ). Now, if I put these into the LOR Controller, with the LOR controller override whatever setting the lights were previously on?

In the past when I bought regular light sets with the different modes, when turned backed on, they would go back to last setting, these do not. So, again, would it affect the light show or LOR override it anyways?

the controller should not have anything to do with the settings on the box. the only way I see ti affecting the settings would be if you tried a twinkle or shimmer.

I previously purchased RGB lights ( 15 sets of 100 ) and each come with a controller on it that makes the lights do up to 8 modes ( I.e slow fade, twinkle, steady, etc ). Now, if I put these into the LOR Controller, with the LOR controller override whatever setting the lights were previously on?

In the past when I bought regular light sets with the different modes, when turned backed on, they would go back to last setting, these do not. So, again, would it affect the light show or LOR override it anyways?

It seems like you have purchased lights that have a permanent dedicated controller on them.

I don't believe these can be controlled by LOR equipment; maybe just full on or full off.

Post a picture and some specs from the box they came in.

I'm pessimistic about controlling these with LOR products.

The only way that I see for an LOR AC Controller to control lights with a built on controller is by modification. 

That would mean cutting the controller off the light strands and if the output to each light strand is 120VAC, then using a vampire or other male AC plug on each light strand that connected to a controller.   Say your strand has 4 colors on it for each setting on the "built in controller", i.e. Blue, Red, Green and Yellow and total bulb count for all 4 strands = 140 count.

Now that would be 4 strands at 35 bulbs per strand and 120VAC to each, so after cutting each strand and leaving them twisted together, adding the male plug, you would now have a 4 channel light strand, and an LOR CTB16PC AC Controller would be able to control each color, intensity, dim, twinkle or shimmer each strand independently of each other. 

You would also need to locate the end bulb of each strand and possibly add a female plug to add {connect the same color bulbs} to another light strand like this.  Each built in controller on each strand would have to be cut and removed and, again, a male plug added to each strand to be able to control each strand independently and use all effects with an LOR CTB16 PC Controller.

Trying to use a built in controller and control the intensity or do special effects on such a strand WILL NOT work!   I use some LED and a few incandescent strands that have a built in controller {but they retain the last setting in the controller!}, however, in using such type light and LED strands, the only commands you can use to sequence them is either FULL ON or FULL OFF, again, NO special effects, NO dimming, NO Twinkles and NO Fades, this could possibly damage, or cause the built on controller to the light strand to overheat and cause a fire, definitely do not want that to happen, or possibly even damage your LOR controller.   So only use FULL ON or FULL OFF with any type of lights that have a built on controller. 

But if the light strands built on controller can not maintain it's setting once set, you'll have to reset it every day as soon as the lights come on, which would be a real annoyance if turning off/on through an LOR controller.

Good Luck!

The only way that I see for an LOR AC Controller to control lights with a built on controller is by modification. 

That would mean cutting the controller off the light strands and if the output to each light strand is 120VAC, then using a vampire or other male AC plug on each light strand that connected to a controller.   Say your strand has 4 colors on it for each setting on the "built in controller", i.e. Blue, Red, Green and Yellow and total bulb count for all 4 strands = 140 count.

Now that would be 4 strands at 35 bulbs per strand and 120VAC to each, so after cutting each strand and leaving them twisted together, adding the male plug, you would now have a 4 channel light strand, and an LOR CTB16PC AC Controller would be able to control each color, intensity, dim, twinkle or shimmer each strand independently of each other. 

You would also need to locate the end bulb of each strand and possibly add a female plug to add {connect the same color bulbs} to another light strand like this.  Each built in controller on each strand would have to be cut and removed and, again, a male plug added to each strand to be able to control each strand independently and use all effects with an LOR CTB16 PC Controller.

Trying to use a built in controller and control the intensity or do special effects on such a strand WILL NOT work!   I use some LED and a few incandescent strands that have a built in controller {but they retain the last setting in the controller!}, however, in using such type light and LED strands, the only commands you can use to sequence them is either FULL ON or FULL OFF, again, NO special effects, NO dimming, NO Twinkles and NO Fades, this could possibly damage, or cause the built on controller to the light strand to overheat and cause a fire, definitely do not want that to happen, or possibly even damage your LOR controller.   So only use FULL ON or FULL OFF with any type of lights that have a built on controller. 

But if the light strands built on controller can not maintain it's setting once set, you'll have to reset it every day as soon as the lights come on, which would be a real annoyance if turning off/on through an LOR controller.

Good Luck!

I've just tested on the controller and it seems to be controlled and not controlled at the same time. Being new, I have purchased ready to go sequences to start. It seems where there would be a steady light during a sequence they seems to 'chase'. The LOR does make it steady lights, fade, twinkle and stuff but as I previously stated, I think the built in controller on the lights is trying to control things too.

It looks awesome during some TSO songs, but other songs, it just doesn't seem to match up just right.

They may have to be re-assembled like you said before.

I would use caution here. An AC controller was mentioned but you might need DC controllers so check the voltage going to each strand (at the first bulb).

In some cases, it's "lower" DC voltage coming out of the supplied controller for the strings.

I'm just saying, check your voltage before hacking it.

I would use caution here. An AC controller was mentioned but you might need DC controllers so check the voltage going to each strand (at the first bulb).

In some cases, it's "lower" DC voltage coming out of the supplied controller for the strings.

I'm just saying, check your voltage before hacking it.

Both the LED and Incans I've hacked apart have all been 120V AC coming from the built on controllers, but yes, always a good idea to verify voltages and whether AC or DC.   

So far mine have all been 120V AC, but they are also older versions, newer lights/LED may be different.  I thought I had mentioned that in the original message about hacking, but looks like I either forgot to put it in, or when adding other info in spots when re-reading, and adding info I may have typed over the info deleting it.   

That info should have been there, as it is definitely something that is not only needed, but required to be verified before actually cutting the controller from the light strands.

My apologies for that oversight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried testing these RGB Lights (see above) on 1 controller (16 channels) and I guess this is how it will look. What do you think? Too much? Appear that it would look better on a mega tree? Better outdoors? May not go right with other songs? To much blinking? Or is the LOR controller controlling the built in controller on the light set? All RGB and white sets I have connected to this have those dumb built in controllers.

To me, it was way too random. Like the sequence drifted to different effects, because of the RGB controllers obviously.

While the LOR controller did it's job, some strings operated differently during the same part of the song thereby giving a random/drifting effect.

I'm afraid it will look like a hacked up sequence job IMHO.

It's just my opinion.

I feel torn. Part of me thinks it gives it more umph and action while the other part agrees with you Santa's Helper that its just too much. I wonder if outside would look better, but may be too late to adjust then.

I feel torn. Part of me thinks it gives it more umph and action while the other part agrees with you Santa's Helper that its just too much. I wonder if outside would look better, but may be too late to adjust then.

Honestly, if your happy with it, and it may look different outside on the display, then go for it.

It was only my opinion and seeing it in real life action, it might be different.

Do what you think feels good to you.

I was actually surprised it was LOR and the RGB controllers together. Turned out better than I thought it would, not seeing it done before.

So if you feel it works, then do it.

To be truthful, most others may not even think about it, because is was still "controlled" to music.

Tom