Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Software Bug

Guest guest

Dan:

Since I don't have any LOR boards yet, the only thing I can play around with is my X10. In my testing I've found the following bug.

The hardware utility will not allow me to go to the X10 or Digital IO tabs unless I select a comm port for the LOR board.

My workaround is to set comm 3 for LOR. This allows me to get to my X10 tab which is set to COMM1. When I'm done modifying or working with the X10 tab, I go back to the LOR tab and reset the COMM port to "NONE" before exiting.

BTW, my 'testing' is attempting to figure out the ideal length of an event (not too long, not too short) to rapidly trigger x10 events. Biggest problem, as most x10 users know, is that only a single X10 command can be triggered at a time so even if I have 3 channels set to turn on for an event, they actually turn on 1 at a time. Also, from the time the 'event' is triggered, there is about a .75 second delay before it gets to the module. I'm guessing this is a function of the distance from the CM11A, but I would just send the x10 event 1 second before I really want it to trigger.

Right now, my test event time is about 2 seconds

Thanks for the bug report. We will fix that. ( I guess the programmer always had an LOR card attached while testing)...

As far as the delay in response time for X10. The major delay is the X10 protocol... That protocol is very slow and there is nothing that can be done to speed it up. We are also looking at the new USB (CM15A) but it will still be just as slow.

X10 is a poor choice for any animation but it can save when it comes to static portions of the display, turning on motors, projectors.....

Timing will never be great with X10. Commands are retransmitted, they are not always seen the first time, .... .. .

Dan:

Thanks.

I was not expecting you to be able to do anything about the X10 piece of it. I know going in what the limitations are and as you say, it is great for things like static or mostly static (Strobes). I will probably also use it to trigger individual animation pieces (ie, snowball fight). My comments were mainly for others who might be looking to X10 for animation.

As to the new USB version, I had purchased it about 1 year ago when it came out with the new ACTIVEHOME software. After fighting for about a month, and spending ample amounts of time on their forums, I returned the whole thing. It was supposed to act as an RF transmitter, but the range was lucky to get out of the room it was in.

My CM11 is still going strong after about 9 years!

I have also heard some not so good stuff about the CM15As rf and we were not going to it but the USB will be good in our case where you need the serial port for other things.