Light-O-Rama Forums

How Often to 'Show'

mjdamico23

As I sit here and still contemplate how long I run my show for, I have a new found question for everyone......My house is very large with lots of land and trees around. I was going to have the windows on the side of the house be part of the show but am wondering if this will be a waste of time. In the road at the front of the house you can't even see the sides unless your on a angle, which elevates seeing anything at the other side of the house and vice versa. For example, if your looking at front of house and on angle to see the windows at the side, you will miss the mega tree and other lit up trees on the other end. I'm thinking that the sequences may look out of order with this? Am I overthinking?

I was going to have the windows on the side of the house be part of the show but am wondering if this will be a waste of time.

I wouldn't spend too much time on it, but doing something simple like a single channel of multi-color lights around the side windows would make the show seem bigger as the viewers drive up to the front.

As I sit here and still contemplate how long I run my show for, I have a new found question for everyone......My house is very large with lots of land and trees around. I was going to have the windows on the side of the house be part of the show but am wondering if this will be a waste of time. In the road at the front of the house you can't even see the sides unless your on a angle, which elevates seeing anything at the other side of the house and vice versa. For example, if your looking at front of house and on angle to see the windows at the side, you will miss the mega tree and other lit up trees on the other end. I'm thinking that the sequences may look out of order with this? Am I overthinking?

I'm in the same situation with my house I purchased last year.

I chose to go with more of the display on the side without the trees to keep things in order of the sequence. Keeping the display to the "better" side of the display.

Just my thoughts.

I agree, a 5 minute pause would be too long.

I think this depends on factors such as your local population density. Since you are in the suburbs, you may get many visitors who only show up once per season, so a "show" is a better experience for them. Since I have many people living in my vicinity, and since this is California where everyone spends a lot of time in their cars, I get many repeat visitors, who like seeing something different every time they visit. (I know this because of feedback I get.)

Therefore, I treat my display more like a continuous display, with the lights flashing to a "radio station". I even leave the lights on between sequences. When a song fades, the lights fade to a state that is at the start of each sequence.

Me too, except I have a slow song ("Christmas Canon", chopped to 2:49), where I turn on all of the lights, and "Blue Christmas", where the whole display turns blue whenever Elvis says "blue".

And GREEN when he says Green and RED when he says RED....

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but............Does anyone let their schedule show during rainy/bad weather? I'm just thinking about when I'm not going to be home to shut it down or restart.

Edited by mjdamico23

Does anyone let their schedule show during rainy/bad weather? I'm just thinking about when I'm not going to be home to shut it down or restart.

Our show runs every night throughout the season, without exception. Once it's set up, there is little maintenance required, so we don't have to be home (and we often aren't during the holiday season).

If it rains, there may be a GFCI trip, so parts of the display may not be working until the rain washes the connections clean and I reset the GFCI.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but............Does anyone let their schedule show during rainy/bad weather? I'm just thinking about when I'm not going to be home to shut it down or restart.

Mine runs Dec 1st to Jan 1st. We almost never get rain. I like arriving home to see all the pretty flashing lights.

I like arriving home to see all the pretty flashing lights.

I'm the same way. I like to take different routes home to see how far away I can see the top of my mega tree from different directions.

As to the OP question, I'm with Steven. I just run it till GFCIs trip if it's not bad severe thunder storms with lots of lightning. This I disconnect all the power/Cat5. Especially for the 33' mega tree.

I run mine regardless of weather.  Had a ton of rain last year with no trips.  Had only one GFCI trip the year before that.

I'm the same way. I like to take different routes home to see how far away I can see the top of my mega tree from different directions.

As to the OP question, I'm with Steven. I just run it till GFCIs trip if it's not bad severe thunder storms with lots of lightning. This I disconnect all the power/Cat5. Especially for the 33' mega tree.

I want to get those huge spotlights that are at special events in red and green so it's like a Christmas Bat Signal so when I'm coming up the hill miles away, I can see it lol. Wishful thinking

• Like 1