Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting Yard Art On Roof?

derekb

I want to put some of my wooden yard art on my roof this year, but I really do not want put holes in the roof. If you mount anything on your roof, I would love to hear how you did it to make sure it doesn't blow down. Thanks! 

Honestly, if you don't want holes in your roof, then you don't need to worry about how folks keep it from being blown down. I say that because there isn't really much from keeping holes in the roof when mounting yard art on the roof.

Yes, some use sand bags and other weighted items (I used concrete bricks for one year). But in the end, that's a lot of work, stress on shingles and just not worth it.

I used lags/screws on my roof and used tar to seal every lag. No leaks. None.

They sell tubes of roof tar and works great.

And just to add... you already have holes in your roof. Vent pipes and exhaust fans. AND they used tubes of tar to seal it all.

I leveraged my gutters, adjustable stands, parachute cord and sand bags to get my Peanuts Nativity on my roof. Check out the pics from 2012 on my web site. It took some work, but my visitors liked em jp there.

I leveraged my gutters, adjustable stands, parachute cord and sand bags to get my Peanuts Nativity on my roof. Check out the pics from 2012 on my web site. It took some work, but my visitors liked em jp there.

Thanks. That is very similar to how I was wanting to setup some of my stuff. 

I put my deer and Santa sleigh on the peak of the roof last year. I took some 2' sections of 2x4's and screwed them together at the same angle as the roof peak.  I then painted them black to blend in with the roof, screwed the feet of the deer to them and just sat them on top. NO holes.  With 2 feet of board per set of legs it takes a lot of force to push them over and have them come sliding down.  I didn't have any issues with them blowing over even in the wind storms we get.

I put my deer and Santa sleigh on the peak of the roof last year. I took some 2' sections of 2x4's and screwed them together at the same angle as the roof peak.  I then painted them black to blend in with the roof, screwed the feet of the deer to them and just sat them on top. NO holes.  With 2 feet of board per set of legs it takes a lot of force to push them over and have them come sliding down.  I didn't have any issues with them blowing over even in the wind storms we get.

Thanks for the information.I do have one piece I want to put at the peak and this may work. But not opposed to safely putting more holes in my roof, if needed.