Light-O-Rama Forums

LEDs and lag time

Richard Esposito

I have made a face to sing with my Christmas music. For the lights which make up the mouth and eye shapes I used strips of 12 volt leds which I aquired for free along with enough transformers for each channel (12 of them). I tried running it from a LOR1602WG3 controller but there is a time delay and things don't sync up. I think that I need to get a Lor CMB-16D-QC low voltage controller. Will this solve the problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick

Yes, the problem is your power supplies.  The LEDs response time will be faster than an incandescent bulb.  You are correct that the way to do this is to use the DC controller.

Dumb question. Are you sure that your media (music) file is a CBR not a VBR file? I see you have been registered back in 09, but not sure if this is your first year actually putting together a show. This is a problem that a lot of newbies make. I know I did the first year. Was wondering why something I just did, no longer synced. Found that the file was a VBR..

suppose I should clarify

CBR = constant bit rate

VBR = Variable bit rate

Edited by Max-Paul

There are no dumb questions, never assume anything. All of my songs are run through Audacity and are 128 kps and CBR. They have worked great with my mini trees and other incandescents in the past. This is my first time using 12 volt LEDs with transformers and it seemed to me that the transformers are the problem and I should get a low voltage controller to solve the problem.

Jim is correct, use your power supply to power a DC controller, A high amp 12V supply would be better than using walwarts.  I recommend getting a 12v and a 36V power supply.  A lot of the new high powered leds need a 36v supply with a possible resistor.  100w leds kickass!