Light-O-Rama Forums

My son is autistic need help trying to make the show happen

jose8223

Hi I am seeking help to make this happen for my children. My son is autistic and my daughter suffers from bipolar disorder. I have recently purchased to two 16 channel diy kits to upgrade from Mr.Christmas unit from the previous years that brought cheer to them each season and I was able to get them out of the house. I have assemble the kits but have no idea how to even start to use the software or even make a sequence. please help as we would greatly appreciate all the help.

I would suggest that you go to the LOR website and go to the tutorial videos. The website also has sequences. There are also some website that have free sequences. If you get one or two of the sequences, it can help you see how the sequence works, You could also check out WOWlights  website. They also have sequences that might give you ideas.

I too have an autistic son and will help any way I can. First draw out your house, business, yard, where ever you plan on doing a show at. Pencil in different strings of lights, props etc,, use whatever lights you have now or plan on buying for the season. When everything is drawn the way you like break it down to 32 separate areas ( channels ). If you can take a digital picture of the area you want to do a show in, then upload that picture into visualizer and start there. If you get that file done email it to me and I can convert one or two of my 32 channel shows to fit your arrangement and email it back to you. This will give you a good idea how things go. You know your son better than I do, what song or type of song he would want to see. nursery@florencescapes.com

Unfortunely this is not a plug and play hobby like the Mr. Christmas. You will need to sit down and do a lot of reading and working with the software. Nothing will take the place of hands on experience. All we can do is give you some tips and hints. I also want to point out that you waited till now. Now is crunch time for most of use who have procrastinated. So, help might be rather thin at this time of year. Sorry for the tough love dude, better get cracking.

• Like 1

Jose, this is my third year with this madness! I was so lost when I first started, but with a little bit of guidance from everyone I am making sequences. I am far from a pro, but hang in there and ask away.

Definitely roam around the Lightorama sight for the tutorials and also maybe shop their store for the Ready to Go sequences (you will also have to buy Mp3 music file). The Ready to Go sequences are a great place to start for newcomers who want to get their feet wet (like myself!). I think they are on sale now for like $20 a song. It buys me time to learn more for next year.

I also had Mr Christmas at one point ( and it ruined a lot of my lights), but even the basics will amaze with lightorama.

Your son will truly enjoy!

Good luck.

This year will be my second year out. My adult daughter who is autistic, is coming here for the first time and she's excited to see the lights. She's seen the videos of last years, first attempt and enjoyed them. Since all autistic kids, adults and so on, are all widely different, there's no way to tell you how to do this but all of the above suggestions are great. I would suggest that you get them involved in the programming/sequencing effort and truly you need to get on that right now. Anyway, getting them involved in the sequencing, might help to get them out there to see the rewards of their efforts when you light it up outside. Use the Visualizer for your sequencing before you get out there to hang lights as you just need a picture of your house and draw lights on it. As stated already, its not a plug and play thing but you'll get a lot more out of it.

Just like Dgrant stated. Get them involved with what they can do.

I have a 12 yo autistic son who loves the lights. He sees me spending countless hours on the programming and wants to try it himself.  He has picked and song and after an hour he realized that it had no real beat to program to..  He found another song and is working on it.  Little starts and stop and the level of Frustration that comes with it all.. But he knows what will come if he sticks with it. 

Using the Visualizer has helped he see some of it as he goes.

Just keep reading the forums and it will start making sense.  Slowly, but sense

• 4 weeks later...

I have been away from the computer for a while I want to thank you all for the support and please continue supporting great work