Light-O-Rama Forums

How to wire a relay

MikeA

Mike,

Going off the scematic,

term 7 & 8 is for the coil. This is when you want movement of the relay, the switching part.

Terms 1&5 and 2&6 are normally closed.

When term 7&8 are energized, term 3&5 and 4&6 are now closed.

Edited by Santas Helper

Pins 7 and 8 (the coil) should be soldered to SPT-1 wire with a plug on the end, and plug into a channel. Use heat-shrink tubing to keep things (like fingers) from coming into contact with the live wires. Test the relay by turning the channel on and off. You should hear the relay clicking. Using shimmer, twinkle, or fades could damage the relay, so try to avoid them.

Since this is a double-pole relay, you could switch both the hot and neutral to the inflatable, but this is not necessary. To go the simple route, separate the wires of the cable that connects from the power outlet to the inflatable. Cut the hot wire. (If using SPT-1, the hot wire is the non-ribbed one.) Solder one side of the wire you cut to pin 3 and the other to pin 5.

Put the whole thing in a box to protect it from weather and human contact, as the contacts are electrically hot.

Pins 7 and 8 (the coil) should be soldered to SPT-1 wire with a plug on the end, and plug into a channel. Use heat-shrink tubing to keep things (like fingers) from coming into contact with the live wires. Test the relay by turning the channel on and off. You should hear the relay clicking. Using shimmer, twinkle, or fades could damage the relay, so try to avoid them.

Since this is a double-pole relay, you could switch both the hot and neutral to the inflatable, but this is not necessary. To go the simple route, separate the wires of the cable that connects from the power outlet to the inflatable. Cut the hot wire. (If using SPT-1, the hot wire is the non-ribbed one.) Solder one side of the wire you cut to pin 3 and the other to pin 5.

Put the whole thing in a box to protect it from weather and human contact, as the contacts are electrically hot.

Steven,

That's an easier way to go about it.

Took me a sec but that makes sense.

Thanks guys but what powers it?

I will send an signal from LOR to turn it on and off. there is 1 cable

1 cable goes to the inflatable

don't I need 1 cable for constant incoming power?

1 cable goes to the inflatable

don't I need 1 cable for constant incoming power?

Start with 1 cable going from the inflatable to constant incoming power. Run this cable past the relay. Where it passes the relay, separate the wires from this cable and find which one is the hot wire. Cut this wire and solder it to pins 3 and 5.

DING DING DING

I think the light came on (in my head)

thanks

You light goes "DING DING DING"    WOW!!!   I noisy light!   :D

• 3 weeks later...