Light-O-Rama Forums

First New Sequence of 2013 Finished

Randytenn

I just finished my first completely new sequence for 2013.  We've added a lot of added control to our lights, increasing the number of RGB channels 4x.  While it gives me a lot of fun stuff to play with, I've discovered that it's added about 1/2 again much time to each sequence.  It's truly taking twice as long to do the same amount of song time.  But, it's so worth it.  

We've also squared up our charity again for the year (Central Florida Children's Home), and have already started getting some press lined up.  We want to smoke last years donation amount.  

So, now, 5 more songs to do for the year, a logo to create, new RGB lights to build, website to update, and press information to put together. 

And only 3 months to do it all.

I love Christmas!

Don't know if I'll ever bother going into RGB stuff, just seems to be more work than I honestly want to put into it.  Regular L.E.D. strands, incans, blowmolds, and wireframes are good enough for me.   May not have the same wow factor as the RGB stuff, but just not interested in fooling and changing my display to accommodate them.

But I love to see what others do with it, just not too sure RGB lighting is right for me.

Edited by Orville

All of us "Orlando" area people should check out each others display's this year.  I will definitely make it a point to stop by your two.  If your feel like travelling East I'm over in Deltona

Absolutely.  We love driving around and seeing other people's work.  That's how we met a lot of people last year.

And Orville, nothing wrong with staying traditional.  RGB LED is a lot of work.  They take some doing, but we love them.  

One huge advantage of traditional is, more points of light.  But each technology has it's strong and weak advantages and each makes their own statement in a display.

Absolutely.  We love driving around and seeing other people's work.  That's how we met a lot of people last year.

And Orville, nothing wrong with staying traditional.  RGB LED is a lot of work.  They take some doing, but we love them.  

I love the look of RGB, but seems they do take more than I want to spend, both in time and fund$ on them.  

Had considered it, but after reading a lot of the issues some folks have getting them set up and functioning, I'm just not ready for them until they are much easier to interface with a standard LOR AC {CTB16PC} Controller.   

Then I might reconsider adding them, but for now, with all the additional hardware and options, it's just too confusing to me, again, not to mention those posts I'm reading where folks seem to have quite a few issues getting these RGB items to function.

I love the look of RGB, but seems they do take more than I want to spend, both in time and fund$ on them.  

Had considered it, but after reading a lot of the issues some folks have getting them set up and functioning, I'm just not ready for them until they are much easier to interface with a standard LOR AC {CTB16PC} Controller.   

Then I might reconsider adding them, but for now, with all the additional hardware and options, it's just too confusing to me, again, not to mention those posts I'm reading where folks seem to have quite a few issues getting these RGB items to function.

I would agree with that and as sequences get larger and larger it seems the software and/or PC can't keep up with it.  There have been more than a few post about the number of channels exceeding what LOR can handle.  Then you have to look at moving to a DMX world.

• 3 months later...

Orville I drove by your place last night,  Randy I didn't make it to yours yet but I will before the years up. 

Orville I drove by your place last night,  Randy I didn't make it to yours yet but I will before the years up. 

Unfortunately you probably saw the worst "Wizards in Winter" ever. LOL   I was still working on that one and finally got it close to being finished, still needs a little work to be right though.  And I know a couple of the others are in dire need of updating and a little more work, but I had to get something going to the neighborhood.

Of course none of the neighbors are complaining or noticing the bad sequences, but they sure stick out like a sore thumb to me.

And it's a rather small setup this year, in 2012 I had lights all over the house, but not being able to see both sides of the home and missing parts because one side of the song was more on one side or the other, I figured it was just easier to keep the "musical dancing lights" to just one side of the house, which meant compressing down a few things.    Now if I could just get the manufactured park owners to allow me to use the vacant lot next to my house, I could really do a lot better by spreading things out more and adding something like a mega or spiral tree, and maybe a few other things.

But I'm limited to my own little area.   

We're actually hoping to move into a regular house sometime next year, if so, display will be much larger and will then be adding another 2 or 3 controllers for the display, depending on size of house and yard visibility.  But if I'm stuck here for another year or two, display will be fairly compact and small.

• The topic was locked