Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding an inflatable

MikeA

I will be adding an inflatable Santa this year.  I normally HATE inflatables but this one will only come on for about half of 1 song and it will be high on my roof.  Has anyone done this, if so, any suggestions, problems.

Thanks

I have not done this, but I have read that you shouldn't try to control a motor with LOR.  From what I have seen, it is possible to do using a relay.

It is possible to seperate the motor and the lights in the inflatable.   You can set it up so the motor is always on (not controlled by LOR), but the lights can be connected to a controller.  I think it only takes some SPT plugs.  I have not tried this either.

Jerry

You may face a few issues.  First off,  you may have to think about the wind.  We get some high winds here at times and that would be a challange to keep on the roof or keep it from blowing apart.

You can use LOR controllers with motors with a few caveats:

• do not exceed the amp ratings of the controllers including inrush.  Most Triacs will take an inrush but for a shorter period then the motor takes to get to syncronous speed.  Many motors will draw up to 5 times the FLA during startup. Some motors are brush type and you may be able to soft start them which will help with current issues.
  • If they have brushes there will be some measure of noise on the line.  LOR controllers don't have snubbers usually used on motor controllers.  You would need to add them.  These are not the same as what others have been calling snubbers for LED loads.  You would need to have real R/C snubbers.
  • If your motor draws less than about 2-3 amps normally, you should be fine.. however no guarantees from this end.  :-)

Or you can do as LORI says, us a relay external to the LOR controller. Make sure you don't ramp up the output that is driving the relay.  ON or OFF only.

Good luck.

Can someone explain what a relay is, how to hook up and where to get.

Thanks

BTW, I like the Scut Farcus avator.  lol

That's because I am kind of an a$$.

I drove 2(!) inflatables with a single LOR channel for a couple of years and didn't have any problems. Last year, I used the spare channel on a DC controller (used to drive 5 RGB floods) to energize a 12v relay, which we wired up in a box.

A relay is also called a contactor, and is basically an electrically-operated switch. When current flows through the relay's coil, it turns a switch on, which can control much more voltage and current. The specifications for a relay include the coil voltage (e.g. 12VDC, 5VDC, 120VAC), the maximum current through, and maximum voltage across, the contacts.

For example, this one from Jameco would work for inflatables. You could find a suitable one for less than $10.

Don't forget to get a relay base to wire to unless you want to use crimp on connectors. 

Or you could go here     http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/120vacdpst30amp.aspx       120 VAC, DPST 30 amp   Your Price: $4.50

Or here   http://candhsurplus.com/product/relays-contactors/page1.htm    105/125V 60hz Coil  Comar Electric C-11076-1  109P73  3PDT 10A 115vac     $4.50

Lots to chose from out there.

I've run my Santa/Chimney inflatable for a few years controlling the blowers with a timer and the lights with my LOR channels.  I could have gone relay but the timers turn on my wireless outdoor speakers so my inflatable inflates the same time.  I just leave it inflated during the show and when the show is over for the night the timer shuts everything down.

make it easy and just leave it inflated all the time but only control the inside lights.just make sure you cut them from the motor before you attach a spt  plug on the end.

The Santa Chimney uses muffin fans.  They're little impedence protected induction fans.  LOR would have no problem running those for sure.

The LOR staff sent me info on what relay to use.

Thanks for your input.

Just FYI, I am sequencing "Deck the Rooftop" by glee and about 45 seconds into the song Santa will inflate up on the roof top strobes and all.  It should be very cool.

Mike

Inflatables take time to inflate.  If you turn on the inflatable as soon as the song starts, I doubt that it will be fully inflated in 45 seconds.  If you already have the inflatable, I would recommend timing it.

You might be better off keeping it inflated but not lit, and just light it during that part of the song...

Just a suggestion and good luck!

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...